GWOT more expensive than Vietnam!

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Proximo, Jul 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, perhaps not that amazing, but if you'd like to know more, click here and read all about it.

I particularly like the way the document references all the way back to the War of Independence...

2. Whats GWOT?
  3. Quoted for posterity.
  4. Its a bit like TWAT....
  5. Prox, this is the cost of not dealing with this problem for almost 30 years. Granted that following is said in hindsight, but let's be honest you can trace this current problem back to 1979 (probably earlier but that would be before my time).

This started with Carter, and his complete and utter incompetence dealing with Iran, the over throw of the Shah, the hostage situation and the subsequent rise of the Islamic State. Not to mention trying to do to the USSR what they did to us in Vietnam, covert funding of Afghanistan.

Reagan did his part by leaving Lebanon after the 1983 Marine Barracks bombing, which was more then likely backed by Iran in one way or another. Continued to allow covert operations in Afghanistan. Not to mention the lack of immediate action after Klinghoffer episode and Pan-Am 103. The only thing he did get right was smacking Gaddafi after the La Belle bombing in W. Berlin (I was in that disco the day before).

Bush (the elder) shafted the Shite Iraqis in southern Iraq after GW1, took his eye off Afghanistan during the rise of the Taliban after the USSR withdrew.

Clinton continued the mistakes of Bush (the elder) and added insult to injury by allowing Saddam to thumb his nose at UN resolutions, UBL to leave the Sudan after having him offered up, and retreating from Somalia. That coupled with the fact that he didn't do anything of any substance after the first WTC attack, the Embassy bombings in Africa the Khobar and other bombing in Saudi Arabia and the attack on the USS Cole.

Here we are many Billions later and that is just a drop in the bucket...the next shoe to drop is Iran, as well as the continued strife in Afghanistan.

There are many billions to follow, that I am sure of.
  6. There goes the wah then................................... :(
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Did you honestly expect anyone to fall for that :D