Guy shot dead for a laptop?

#2
Its the only way I could get on ARRSE today though mate.
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
So - is your question:

1. Was the laptop an opportunistic theft? If so - why would they have a shotgun and be willing to use it?

or, more likely:

2. Was this a targeted, specific theft because of the INFORMATION contained on the laptop in order to achieve a greater return on the theft. The guy who was killed worked for a money transfer business.

This is it - when will people realise the value of information? A CD is not 45p, the contents could hold billions of dollars worth of information, the same applies for all forms of electronic media.

Maybe people will start taking their security more seriously at work now!!! Of course not...... :roll:
 
#4
Should have had a toughbook, not a apple.......
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#5
Nothing to do with the £10,000 he was also carrying in his bag then?
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
Yeah, the guy was just coming out of a money laun . . . . change place when he got hit. I think the laptop was incidental.
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#9
Biped - didn't know about the cash either: got a linky to allow to read further pse?

You know - saves me from googling. :wink:
 
#10
So Biped, you're the only one alive that knows about the money.........

Hello Police, I know who it was.........
 

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
#12
mysteron said:
So - is your question:

1. Was the laptop an opportunistic theft? If so - why would they have a shotgun and be willing to use it?

or, more likely:

2. Was this a targeted, specific theft because of the INFORMATION contained on the laptop in order to achieve a greater return on the theft. The guy who was killed worked for a money transfer business.

This is it - when will people realise the value of information? A CD is not 45p, the contents could hold billions of dollars worth of information, the same applies for all forms of electronic media.

Maybe people will start taking their security more seriously at work now!!! Of course not...... :roll:
You're making a huge assumption there that anyone from Longsh[i[[/i]ite has the intelligence to do something that subtle. My money's on it being some smackhead who figured there would be serious amounts of cash floating around that place; nothing more.

(That place is a shithole and I only ever go through it very fast and without stopping)
 

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
The bit I chortled about (not the guy dieing as that's very tragic) was that he was a Pakistani 'student', on a student visa - only working 'a few hours a week', yet he was carrying £10,000 in cash, a laptop, and was standing next to his Silver Mercedes. Obviously beans on toast and public transport for the unwashed masses of student - types is a thing of the past...
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
Bruno - that is the same assumption that the guys who live in shanty towns in Nigeria aren't successfully scamming loads of money off people so they move on up from shanty town to ma-hoooooo-ssive villa. Just becuase the area is deprived it doesn't mean they aren't stupid.

Hell, there was this guy who was working as a cashier in that area that was shot and his business was in that area! Deprived area does not equal stupid. Got to disagree with you there.
 
#15
Command_doh said:
The bit I chortled about (not the guy dieing as that's very tragic) was that he was a Pakistani 'student', on a student visa - only working 'a few hours a week', yet he was carrying £10,000 in cash, a laptop, and was standing next to his Silver Mercedes. Obviously beans on toast and public transport for the unwashed masses of student - types is a thing of the past...
Usual thing for, ahem, "ethnically diverse" students. Somebody told me that a group of Chinese got into my uni on student visas for a course they had no intention of following, and then set up a brothel in their halls!
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#16
right-grumpy said:
So Biped, you're the only one alive that knows about the money.........

Hello Police, I know who it was.........
Let's face it, he doesn't need it anymore . . .
 

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
#17
A bit of a far cry from the Neue Arbeit shout of having removed handguns from the streets of Britain.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads