Guy Gibson and his dog on ITV4

Almost as important as the film is the theme tune , how are they ever going to top the original ? ..... several generations of kids running round arms outstretched being "lancs" to that music .

Dug out a Greatest War Themes CD tonight while working in the shed and had it on full volume .... some absolute classics .... the only modern one that comes close for me is The Ride Of The Valkyries .
Hate to be a pedant but Wagner died 3 years before Eric Coates was born so how could Walkürenritt pre-date The Dambusters March which was penned in 1954? BTW Coates didn't write the march for the film, he was working on Elgarian themes and had completed the march a few days prior to the producers of the film approaching him to write the score. He turned that commission down but did provide the signature theme.

Otto Skorzeny led Gran Sasso with 20 Luftwaffe Fallschirmjager and 50 Waffen-SS

Student was not present on Eben Emael as he was shot in the head at Rotterdam the previous day (possible fratricide with the SS- he survived), it was led by Witzig and Koch. IIRC Koch who had saved some Brit Paras from execution in Tunisia later died under mysterious circumstances while on recuperation leave from a head wound.
Thanks for filling the gaps in my knowledge. With such a remarkable feat it is important that the correct people are credited. I should have said he was involved in the planning of both assaults.

Landing on Fort Eben Emael in gliders must rank amongst one of the most daring airborne assaults of all times. Both were led by Student if memory serves me correctly.
Yeah, but you try getting a student to lead a daring commando raid nowadays, the lazy drunken feckers that they are. They’ll all be smoking tablets of E and drinking glue. I’ve heard what they get up to, oh yes!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist it, but bother me not with a taxi for I have stout walking shoes and a mind for some air.

Hate to be a pedant but Wagner died 3 years before Eric Coates was born so how could Walkürenritt pre-date The Dambusters March which was penned in 1954? BTW Coates didn't write the march for the film, he was working on Elgarian themes and had completed the march a few days prior to the producers of the film approaching him to write the score. He turned that commission down but did provide the signature theme.
Sorry ... by modern I was talking about the date of the film release ... not when the original composition was penned , Apocalypse Now was unusual in being a modern film that used a good classical theme.... again how many kids hummed that theme while playing or bigger kids in helicopters as they flew to war.

The CD had all the "classic" themes on it ... Where Eagles Dare , Longest Day , Battle of Britain , Lawrence of Arabia , The Great Escape , 633 Squadron , etc , modern films just don't seem to have those great themes written for them ....

Otto Skorzeny led Gran Sasso with 20 Luftwaffe Fallschirmjager and 50 Waffen-SS

Student was not present on Eben Emael as he was shot in the head at Rotterdam the previous day (possible fratricide with the SS- he survived), it was led by Witzig and Koch. IIRC Koch who had saved some Brit Paras from execution in Tunisia later died under mysterious circumstances while on recuperation leave from a head wound.
Also Student was a Generalleutnant and commander of the 7th Flieger Division as well as the provisonal Luftlandekorps, which included all the airborne troops landing in the Netherlands and Belgium. Capt Koch's Sturmabteilung of about 400 men had the objective of seizing three bridges over the Albert Canal besides taking out Eben Emael. Koch himself and his HQ landed with the assault group at the Vroenhoven bridge. Lt Witzig commanded the 80 or so men in Sturmgruppe Granit at Eben Emael though he arrived late because the tow-rope of his glider had broken. So in actual charge at the beginning of the assault on the fortress were Feldwebels Wenzel and Niedermeier.

Also Student was a Generalleutnant and commander of the 7th Flieger Division as well as the provisonal Luftlandekorps, which included all the airborne troops landing in the Netherlands and Belgium. Capt Koch's Sturmabteilung of about 400 men had the objective of seizing three bridges over the Albert Canal besides taking out Eben Emael. Koch himself and his HQ landed with the assault group at the Vroenhoven bridge. Lt Witzig commanded the 80 or so men in Sturmgruppe Granit at Eben Emael though he arrived late because the tow-rope of his glider had broken. So in actual charge at the beginning of the assault on the fortress were Feldwebels Wenzel and Niedermeier.
Put Niedermeier on it, he's a sneaky little shit just like you, right?
(Dean Wormer to Greg Marmalade)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scarletto The NAAFI Bar 103
Mr_Fingerz The NAAFI Bar 279
F The NAAFI Bar 27

Latest Threads