Guy Gibson and his dog on ITV4

O
In fact if it is true to life will they portray Gibson as being a short arsed git with a massive arrogance far larger than his own personal stature, which by all accounts he was!
A typical crab then?

B*gger the dog's name, if U571 or Pearl Harbour are anything to go by the hysterical accuracy will be on overload with septics;
as for the love interest, if Stephen Fry let loose with the brylcreem, then it will be 'alternative' at best.
But then Jackson is good at bringing myths to the big screen.
Good lord I didnt watch that U571 shoite, as for Pearl Harbour I only watched it cos the chick was watching it... absolute bollocks although I did like some of the flying scenes being a Pilot myself. In fact I would probably watch a remake of Dambusters just to see if they got the flying bits realistic enough

Good lord I didnt watch that U571 shoite, as for Pearl Harbour I only watched it cos the chick was watching it... absolute bollocks although I did like some of the flying scenes being a Pilot myself. In fact I would probably watch a remake of Dambusters just to see if they got the flying bits realistic enough
So will Guy and the boys have a pylon race around the streets of Essen in his Lanc as they evade Baron Von Nazibastard in his Me262?

So will Guy and the boys have a pylon race around the streets of Essen in his Lanc as they evade Baron Von Nazibastard in his Me262?
617 becoming Eagle [Bomber] Squadron flying B-17s perchance?

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Talking about the "Pearl Harbour " I wonder if they can re-create Gibson's attempt at dive bombing the Scharnhost in a Hamden in CGI

Oh stop being a cock! we are presumably adults here who actually know a bit about the Dambuster raids not 12 years olds hearing about it for the first time. You can take it as read that most of us here KNOW that it was an incredibly daring, skillfull and courageous attack. Most of us have probably seen the original film and maybe the few documentaries about it!

If the film is Yank bankrolled it will be full of americans, there will be a massive 'love interest' and there will be more napalm like fireball explosions than you can poke a shitty stick at.

If it is true to the history then that does in fact include calling the dog nigger, if it 'merges' occurances or timeframes due to the constraints of the length of the film, editing and continuity that is fine, but if it changes things because some members of society might not be too pleased then its a load of bollocks, regardless of whether they portray the flying to be skillfull or the raid to be daring.

In fact if it is true to life will they portray Gibson as being a short arsed git with a massive arrogance far larger than his own personal stature, which by all accounts he was!
How clever of you to poo poo my post without understanding a single word of what I was actually saying. Are you a professional critic by any chance?

Of course the ME262 will just HAVE to be in the film to give the brave yankie...er RAF flyboys a position of being the underdogs!

617 becoming Eagle [Bomber] Squadron flying B-17s perchance?
nah too many guns... something built by the brave citizens of the US who courageously gave up their high living to build marvellous bombers for our brave boys in the air...but not too many guns, will cancel out the 'underdog' effects wrought by the ME262's

I'm afraid you wouldn't understand.
oh really! how very high and mighty of you my lordship. You whined like a wee girl that we didnt take the brave deeds of the courageous dam raids seriously and were only concerned with what the fucking dog was called. Unless you were going on so in some 'only know to yourself' code what else were you wibbling on about?

oh really! how very high and mighty of you my lordship. You whined like a wee girl that we didnt take the brave deeds of the courageous dam raids seriously and were only concerned with what the fucking dog was called. Unless you were going on so in some 'only know to yourself' code what else were you wibbling on about?
You wear your chip with great aplomb.

It was a light hearted comment that it was far more important to get historical context correct rather than whether a bit part player will be correctly named or not. You yourself had a huge rant about whether the Americans would retain any modicum of historical fact yet you singularly fail to level the accusations of cock closer to home. It should be perfectly possible to have a sensible discussion without resorting to insult and ad hominem remarks. Wit and wisdom will contribute far more to any discussion than effrontery and mockery.
Never mind, the whole film might be set in the Orient with B17s attacking Japanese Dams but as they call the dog Nigger you'll be satisfied, I'm sure. Zeroed straight in on the whole crux of the film didn't you?

No doubt that second book was a real page turner, but I imagine after reading that one a feller would need to clean up before tea time...

View attachment 40293
Might as well give your teeth a brush while you're in Bernard Manning's bathroom.

(For any foreigners reading, Bernard was an, ahem, "traditional" British comedian. And also, get yourself a copy of "The Confederate States of America" - a "what if" drama/documentary speculating upon the modern day consequences of a Confederate victory in the American civil war. There's a VERY interesting twist at the end.).

T

Tremaine

The subject has fascinated me since around 1983. Starting with Koerbecke, Soest, Moehne Dam, when at San Sebastian/Salamanca. Father in law gave me and the old man a tour, showed us the Dam wall repairs, still visible. Also an old bouncing bomb which had been fished out of the water, was on display at the Moehne Dam. Much later when living in Lincoln,took a few tours of Scampton on Sundays, when it was under threat of closure. Read several books, and agree with other posters that Gibson is often depicted as "a disciplinarian who bore professionalism and arrogance". Spooky coincidences:

Had to go to St Vincent's, Grantham in 2000 which turned out to be linked with the raid
A few jobs at Digby and Coningsby, and later rounded off with meeting Richard Todd (twice) in Grantham. Ended up with a g/f whose old man was an Sqn Ldr based at Scampton and Digby. He states that "Nigger's grave was not moved in Scampton" (reports around 1999-2000 reckoned his grave had been moved).

Coincidences, spooky or not, an unusual life pattern with a theme, perhaps. Who knows.

Is it right that there is a remake of the Dambusters in the pipeline and if there is, will history be rewritten regarding the dog's name?
it'll be a USAF crew, blowing up a dam in vietnam with laser guided smartbombs which don't kill puppies and orphans

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Gibsons dog will be pimped up with shades, a gold chain and a baggy yellow shell suit hanging of his arse
He will be refered to as Yo Nigger

As the film is CBEEBIES funded it will be a triumph of multiculturalisim
Gibson will have arrived from India and will convince his white racist Navigator he's a "bloody good egg"
The rear Gunner will use the wheel chair ramp fitted to his turret to get into the Lanc
The crew will then sing a song and invite the audience to guess the target for tonight

A quick look on IMB gives us this gem

"A cut of the film was spiced up for the American market. Additional scenes of a plane crashing were later removed after it was spotted that Warner Brothers had used WW2 footage of a Flying Fortress"

T

Tremaine

Excellent find - thank you for that.
I had forgotten about the gallant Hopwood's attack - truly gutsy stuff.
Also, the Noel Coward eulogy is very moving.
You're welcome RhodieBKK. Spent many a Sunday at East Kirkby Heritage Centre, Metheringham, Scampton and Woodhall Spa. Down the A46, Wymeswold. I understand that Gibson was at Digby also.
For anyone interested, a list of RAF Lincs bases/Museums is here RAF-lincolnshire.info :: Lincolnshire Aviation Museums

Ciggie

GCM
I note that a work by another British icon, Agatha Christie ( loved the world over ) seems to be out of print at the mo...Ten Little Niggers, I refer to....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scarletto The NAAFI Bar 103
Mr_Fingerz The NAAFI Bar 279
F The NAAFI Bar 27

Latest Threads