Guy Gibson and his dog on ITV4

I think that if the septics are involved in any way with a remake there will be many more fundamental changes to the facts other than Nigger's name
Chuck Gibson (played by Mel Gibson) and his squadron of B-17s fighting incompetent murderous English officers in the RAF to force them to abandon bombing the dams to avoid killing the local civilians and then taking every factory on the Ruhr out in a single night without a single civvie casualty?

Bee_Gee.

Old-Salt
Is it right that there is a remake of the Dambusters in the pipeline and if there is, will history be rewritten regarding the dog's name?
The remake has been written by Stephen fry, and to be directed by peter Jackson of lord of the rings fame.

My copy looked like this, illustrated by the author, with a Tamil child.

When doing a google search image for the above, look what else appeared. That wasn't on our book shelf. I wonder why? :)

No doubt that second book was a real page turner, but I imagine after reading that one a feller would need to clean up before tea time...

n***er-joes-tar-soap.jpg

It all gets a bit tiresome really. The film is supposed to be depicting an actual historical event. The dog was called nigger and that is a matter of record. Yes, now it's an unfortunate choice of name but it wasn't then so why try to expunge it. There is no evidence that Gibson was racist or held racist views and therefore no evidence to suggest that he chose anything other than a fairly common name for dogs at that time.
I see nothing wrong with golliwogs, never have and never will. They were a cute children's toy and it took the PC lobby to turn them from a thing of innocence to a banned commodity. If you grew up loving your golliwog how did that then morph itself into racial prejudice? Surely the opposite would be true?
You don't discourage racial prejudice by this sort of stupidity and censorship. If we live in more enlightened times then surely it's inevitable that previous times will be less than perfect in contrast to the standards of Today?

Still, it gives Old Colonic the chance to rant a bit I suppose. :wink:

If they do the remake of the Dambusters and change the dogs name out of PC considerations, I for one will never watch it, especially If Samuel L Jackson can go around saying Nigger in the Quentin Tarantootleootie films.

However if Stephen Fry is writing the script I think he would be more historically conscious than PC conscious!

I have an old Chambers dictionary ( 1920s ) that says the following.

Nigger, A member of a very dark skinned race,
A black insect larva of various kinds.

Niggerdom, niggers collectively.

Niggerish-niggerism, an idiom or expression characteristic of niggers.

Niggerling, a little nigger.

Niggerhead, a nodule boulder or boss of dark coloured rock, an American river muscle source of mother of pearl.

Nigger in the wood pile, a hidden evil influence.

Work like a Nigger, to toil hard.

Same dictionary also descibes

parachute as, an umbrella like apparatus used for escaping from observation balloons.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
HTF could Gibson be racist, his wife was Welsh and they lived in Penarth

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently just before he got killed his misses found out he was boneing a WRAF and was going to dump him,She was still to be seen in Penarth in the 80s, this phot was taken with local Air Cadets at the Glider field in Llanishen in Cardiff on one of his last leaves in 1944. Gibson is the bloke standing on the car. he has always interested me because my fathers first family were killed in the revenge air raid on the 18th of May 1943

Attachments

We live in a funny old world really. This film is going to depict one of the most dare-devil feats of flying ever. It must have taken incredible courage and skill to even contemplate doing what they did. I'm more interested in whether the film captures the sheer courage and dedication of the aircrew than whether an unfortunately named dog, who has only a very co-incidental part to play, is actually named or not. Oh how we always manage to get our priorities wrong!

As an aside,I'm sure I read that "Nigger" is a coruption of Niger,as in the African country.Does that sound right?

As an aside,I'm sure I read that "Nigger" is a coruption of Niger,as in the African country.Does that sound right?
Also from the river Niger in W. Africa!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It all gets a bit tiresome really. The film is supposed to be depicting an actual historical event. The dog was called nigger and that is a matter of record. Yes, now it's an unfortunate choice of name but it wasn't then so why try to expunge it. There is no evidence that Gibson was racist or held racist views and therefore no evidence to suggest that he chose anything other than a fairly common name for dogs at that time.
I see nothing wrong with golliwogs, never have and never will. They were a cute children's toy and it took the PC lobby to turn them from a thing of innocence to a banned commodity. If you grew up loving your golliwog how did that then morph itself into racial prejudice? Surely the opposite would be true?
You don't discourage racial prejudice by this sort of stupidity and censorship. If we live in more enlightened times then surely it's inevitable that previous times will be less than perfect in contrast to the standards of Today?

Oh Gibson was racist alright, apparently hated the Germans with a vengence! Took the war as a personal crusade to kill as many as he could.

We live in a funny old world really. This film is going to depict one of the most dare-devil feats of flying ever. It must have taken incredible courage and skill to even contemplate doing what they did. I'm more interested in whether the film captures the sheer courage and dedication of the aircrew than whether an unfortunately named dog, who has only a very co-incidental part to play, is actually named or not. Oh how we always manage to get our priorities wrong!
Oh stop being a cock! we are presumably adults here who actually know a bit about the Dambuster raids not 12 years olds hearing about it for the first time. You can take it as read that most of us here KNOW that it was an incredibly daring, skillfull and courageous attack. Most of us have probably seen the original film and maybe the few documentaries about it!

If the film is Yank bankrolled it will be full of americans, there will be a massive 'love interest' and there will be more napalm like fireball explosions than you can poke a shitty stick at.

If it is true to the history then that does in fact include calling the dog nigger, if it 'merges' occurances or timeframes due to the constraints of the length of the film, editing and continuity that is fine, but if it changes things because some members of society might not be too pleased then its a load of bollocks, regardless of whether they portray the flying to be skillfull or the raid to be daring.

In fact if it is true to life will they portray Gibson as being a short arsed git with a massive arrogance far larger than his own personal stature, which by all accounts he was!

What you have to remember is that by the standards of today, just about the entire population of the UK in 1943 was "racist" to some degree or another. Your average lefty nowadays would have a feckin' seizure at the mere mention of the word "Nigger", the thought that someone might call a dog by that name would probably finish him off. These are people who think "The Black and White Minstrel Show" and "It ain't 'Alf Hot Mum" were racist FFS! Mind you, they also think that "EastEnders" is an accurate representation of life in happy, multicultural, gay-tolerant East London, but don't get me started on that load of old bollo*ks!

If the film is Yank bankrolled it will be full of americans, there will be a massive 'love interest' and there will be more napalm like fireball explosions than you can poke a shitty stick at.

If it is true to the history then that does in fact include calling the dog nigger,
B*gger the dog's name, if U571 or Pearl Harbour are anything to go by the hysterical accuracy will be on overload with septics;
as for the love interest, if Stephen Fry let loose with the brylcreem, then it will be 'alternative' at best.
But then Jackson is good at bringing myths to the big screen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scarletto The NAAFI Bar 103
Mr_Fingerz The NAAFI Bar 279
F The NAAFI Bar 27

Latest Threads