Guy Fawkes dropped for bonfire night

Guy Fawkes dropped for bonfire night

Guy Fawkes has been banned by council bosses in east London - and replaced with a Bengali folk tale. Tower Hamlets said it wanted to provide an "alternative" theme to celebrate November 5 and the attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

I suppose that next years proposed Easter Egg Hunt will be replaced with the Curried Egg Hunt? It would seem that the lunatics are indeed running the asylum. What a mad country we now live in! :cry:
I wonder if there was a reason that Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot was remembered for some 400 years in England as opposed to a Bengali folk tale? What could it have been?

Oh yes, Bengali folk tales were never a big hit in England.

Why do Western cultures feel this need to supplant our culture for someone else's?

Ah, well, at least I'm safe here in Canada....most of the culture we have here is contained in yogurt cups. :D
Just another example of British Culture being degraded to suit this over- politically correct multiculturalism. I would like to see the PC brigade try that in NI for Bonfire Night in July. I think that they would find themselves thrown on the fire.

November 5 is Bonfire Night to commemorate the foiling of an english catholic plot to blow up parliament. It does not glorify terrorism, rather it celebrates stopping it.

Officials said: We did Guy fawkes last year" and insisted it was their tradition to have a different theme each year. In a statement, a spokesman said: "And this differentiates our celebrations from other boroughs and our events are proving to be extremely popular.
What comes next? Ramadan instead of Christmas next year.

In my humble opinion, Guy Fawkes was the only man who went into Parliament with the right idea. Where is he now we need him?
smokey said:
In my humble opinion, Guy Fawkes was the only man who went into Parliament with the right idea. Where is he now we need him?
I agree with your sentiments, Smokey, but Parliament these days is largely sidelined and looks like becoming an irrelevance if the Speaker's words yesterday are anything to go by.

How about the Cabinet Offices instead?
Pillager said:
well the bengali folk tale wont be glorifying terrorism I take it.
Sorry, I have spent my life in the belief that I was in fact celebrating the defeat of a terrorist act!

Traditionally Bonfire Night is held in Britain on 5th November. It celebrates the defeat of a conspiracy to blow the then king, James I, in it. Bonfire Night is celebrated with bonfires and fireworks.

Remember Remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot
Guy Fawkes Guy, 'twas his intent
to blow up king and parliament
Three score barrels were laid below
to prove old England's overthrow
By God's mercy he was catched
with a dark lantern and lighted match
Holler boys Holler boys let the bells ring
Holler boys Holler boys God save the King
P.S. Until 1959, it was illegal not to celebrate the date of Guy Fawkes arrest in England... :wink:
Watch they do not introduce another item of Asian culture. You know, where the husband's family want another dowry so they put wifey on thr re. Or when some 13 year old child bride does something about 'honour' and has to be killed by her loving and devoted brothers. Mind you, I'd supply a faggot to get the bonfire started
If anyone wants to go:

This is sounds like it's going to be a great event, and I fully applaud them holding it, if that's what the people of Tower Hamlets want. Unfortunately it's on the wrong date. November 5th is for reminding people what happens to the souls of terrorists. There are 350 odd free days in the calendar. Pick one of those.

This sounds like some council official with a bright idea. "Let's combine two events and save money on the fireworks". Bollocks!

The script writer seems to have his head screwed in correctly, though:
The greedy Emperor wants his taxes, and the people must pay.
The council has commissioned a £75,000 fireworks display entitled the Emperor and the Tiger, which tells the story of the "Moghul Emperor, the Wise Man and the Guardian of the Jungle". As a mock Bengal tiger paces a giant catwalk, fire will light up a "forest" to the sound of Bangla drummers and dancers.
Erm, has anybody pointed out to said council that they are NOT actually celebrating Guy Fawkes night but something completely different and irrelevant, or is it just me?
From another point of view, perhaps we should be lamenting the failure of the only man ever to enter Parliament having fully and honestly declared his intentions?

I have to second the opinions above - Tower Hamlets should either change the date of the celebrations or else use the correct reason for indulging in a spot of pyromania on the 5th.
To not celebrate Guy Fawkes Night is deviating from history and traditions.

In short, it is fissiparous and not acceptable.

If this type of stuff is allowed then there can be no integration and that is the stuff that make British born Moslems go blowing up the underground trains!

There is nothing like Bengali Fairy Tale night. It is all claptrap.

Must be a Brick Lane invention to test the waters!

I wonder how this type of assinine deviations are encouraged!
Actually what is utter bo##ocks in the first place is that the poorest London borough can actually splash out £75 grand on the festival in the first place! :wink:
Unless alcohol had done its stuff, I read in yesterday's Evening Standard that George Galloway thought not having Guy Fawkes aflame was bonkers. No link, sorry.
Cultural genocide is a term used to describe the deliberate destruction of the cultural heritage of a people or nation for political or military reasons.

United Nations

Article 7 of the "United Nations draft declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples" (26 August 1994) defines "Cultural genocide" (emphasis added):

Indigenous peoples have the collective and individual right not to be subjected to ethnocide and cultural genocide, including prevention of and redress for:

(a) Any action which has the aim or effect of depriving them of their integrity as distinct peoples, or of their cultural values or ethnic identities;

(b) Any action which has the aim or effect of dispossessing them of their lands, territories or resources;

(c) Any form of population transfer which has the aim or effect of violating or undermining any of their rights;

(d) Any form of assimilation or integration by other cultures or ways of life imposed on them by legislative, administrative or other measures;

(e) Any form of propaganda directed against them.

Looks like New lbour are guilty of all the above.

Remember Remember The 5th of November.

These days it wouldn't be treason and plot,

It would be Liberation!!!
What about a compromise,after all we are living in a civilised country?

First the fireworks for the culturally starved curry eaters,then off to Hang,Draw and Quarter the entire council of Tower Hamlets..........fair?:twisted:

Who the hell thinks up this cr*p!