Guy Fawkes dropped for bonfire night

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rumrunner, Nov 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guy Fawkes dropped for bonfire night

I suppose that next years proposed Easter Egg Hunt will be replaced with the Curried Egg Hunt? It would seem that the lunatics are indeed running the asylum. What a mad country we now live in! :cry:
  2. well the bengali folk tale wont be glorifying terrorism I take it.
  3. I wonder if there was a reason that Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot was remembered for some 400 years in England as opposed to a Bengali folk tale? What could it have been?

Oh yes, Bengali folk tales were never a big hit in England.

Why do Western cultures feel this need to supplant our culture for someone else's?

Ah, well, at least I'm safe here in Canada....most of the culture we have here is contained in yogurt cups. :D
  4. Just another example of British Culture being degraded to suit this over- politically correct multiculturalism. I would like to see the PC brigade try that in NI for Bonfire Night in July. I think that they would find themselves thrown on the fire.

November 5 is Bonfire Night to commemorate the foiling of an english catholic plot to blow up parliament. It does not glorify terrorism, rather it celebrates stopping it.

What comes next? Ramadan instead of Christmas next year.

5. In my humble opinion, Guy Fawkes was the only man who went into Parliament with the right idea. Where is he now we need him?
  6. The whole business sent him to pieces.

Ahem - Taxi!
  7. I agree with your sentiments, Smokey, but Parliament these days is largely sidelined and looks like becoming an irrelevance if the Speaker's words yesterday are anything to go by.

How about the Cabinet Offices instead?
  8. Sorry, I have spent my life in the belief that I was in fact celebrating the defeat of a terrorist act!

Traditionally Bonfire Night is held in Britain on 5th November. It celebrates the defeat of a conspiracy to blow the then king, James I, in it. Bonfire Night is celebrated with bonfires and fireworks.

P.S. Until 1959, it was illegal not to celebrate the date of Guy Fawkes arrest in England... :wink:
  9. Watch they do not introduce another item of Asian culture. You know, where the husband's family want another dowry so they put wifey on thr re. Or when some 13 year old child bride does something about 'honour' and has to be killed by her loving and devoted brothers. Mind you, I'd supply a faggot to get the bonfire started
  10. If anyone wants to go:

This is sounds like it's going to be a great event, and I fully applaud them holding it, if that's what the people of Tower Hamlets want. Unfortunately it's on the wrong date. November 5th is for reminding people what happens to the souls of terrorists. There are 350 odd free days in the calendar. Pick one of those.

This sounds like some council official with a bright idea. "Let's combine two events and save money on the fireworks". Bollocks!

The script writer seems to have his head screwed in correctly, though:
  11. Erm, has anybody pointed out to said council that they are NOT actually celebrating Guy Fawkes night but something completely different and irrelevant, or is it just me?
  12. From another point of view, perhaps we should be lamenting the failure of the only man ever to enter Parliament having fully and honestly declared his intentions?

I have to second the opinions above - Tower Hamlets should either change the date of the celebrations or else use the correct reason for indulging in a spot of pyromania on the 5th.
  13. Rayc

Rayc RIP

To not celebrate Guy Fawkes Night is deviating from history and traditions.

In short, it is fissiparous and not acceptable.

If this type of stuff is allowed then there can be no integration and that is the stuff that make British born Moslems go blowing up the underground trains!

There is nothing like Bengali Fairy Tale night. It is all claptrap.

Must be a Brick Lane invention to test the waters!

I wonder how this type of assinine deviations are encouraged!
  14. Sounds like my kind of story! 8O

On a serious note, it sickens me. Let's burn the PC brigade instead.