gutted

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Proper_Gander, Mar 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i've been very keen on joining the forces for a long time now and i was focused on becoming an officer.

however, i've been a british national all my life but never actually LIVED in the UK for the 5 years required.

is there anyway around this nuisance?

:x

2. It depends where you have been and why.

If you are a British national but have been working abroad for 5 years then the security check is more of a headache (I Think).

If you are abroad working for the Govt or because of family (ie you are a pad brat) then that counts as UK.

If you are a mercenary/contract killer/tax avoider then it may be a bit more tricky.

3. Give them the address of a close relative who has been living here.

4. Cow

Cow LE

That would show a lack of Integrity... something officers need?

5. and initiative, something officers also need

6. You could always try just telling the truth and see what happens. Ill bet they get round it somehow for you.

7. You really need to talk to the recruiters, they will be able to tell you where you stand, a lot I understand depends on where you have been living, why and what you have been doing. Every case is individual, the sooner you start the ball rolling the sooner it gets into the back of the net.

8. I commissioned last year. I am a citizen of the Republic of Ireland and I have only been living in the UK since 2005, but when I brought this up I was told that it wouldn't be a problem.

9. sounds like there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

my situation is this. i was born in switzerland. went to school there and did an apprenticeship as draughtsman. after that i started travelling, was mainly in australia working in the mining industry. (now i'm in cambodia. you can shoot cows with rocket launchers at the shooting range here)

i do not have swiss citizenship, just british. parents are british, brothers were all born in the uk and all my extended family (and one of my bruvs) live in england.

i'll go back to switzerland soon to lead a normal life for a bit. working as a draughty. but i really fancy going to sandhurst pretty soon....

and i'll just feckin have to make sure i will now won't i

10. "sounds like there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

my situation is this. i was born in switzerland. went to school there and did an apprenticeship as draughtsman. after that i started travelling, was mainly in australia working in the mining industry. (now i'm in cambodia. you can shoot cows with rocket launchers at the shooting range here)

i do not have swiss citizenship, just british. parents are british, brothers were all born in the uk and all my extended family (and one of my bruvs) live in england.

i'll go back to switzerland soon to lead a normal life for a bit. working as a draughty. but i really fancy going to sandhurst pretty soon....
    and i'll just feckin have to make sure i will now won't i"

Sounds to me like you would not really be that committed to the job. Are you just after a bit of a jolly? If you make it here we will soon suss you out!!

11. by no means.

feel free to "suss me out" all you want.
    it's just that i haven't seen my folks and friends for over a year. as soon as i get back i'll be checking out sandhurst but also getting a job as a draughtsman. it all takes time.

need to be prepared for anything