Gurkhas; what do they have to do to join the TA?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jul 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As per the heading.

2. are there even TA gurkha units?

i imagine its reading joana lumleys auto-biography
  3. There are no Gurkha TA units. But there are plenty of former Regular Gurkhas, and a fair few TA units.
  4. oh, news to me, id imagine same as everyone else but im no expert.
  5. All to do with the new TACOS. There are no Gurkha TA Units, but a Gurkha who has passed certain criteria and has residency in UK can join the TA. Ask HQBG for chapter and verse: 01980 67 8567
  6. Thanks SBP.
  7. ABN 05/09 outlines the changes.
  8. A lobotomy would be a good start.:D
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Rather poor taste considering the latest MoD announcement!
  10. No it's not. Unless I've missed something and all Gurkhas have suddenly been lobotomised by the MOD.
  11. 1RGR was the unit hit today
  12. Yeeesssss...but what has that got to do with my post? Or are you seriously suggesting that a remark about a Gurkha needing a lobotomy before he would join the TA is in some way linked to today's deaths in Afghanistan?
  13. I heard there was talk of a Gurkha ta unit setting up. But it was squashed because most Gurkha's work shifts so its hard for them to get in on a regular basis.
  14. Ex-Gurkhas must have:
    Served at least 4 years reckonable service in the Regular Army.
    Resided in the UK (including BFPO addresses) for a minimum of 5 years.
    Been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK - issued by the Home Office’s United Kingdom Border Agency.

Any qualifying ex-Gurkha will have the opportunity to:
    Seek part-time employment in a local TA unit.
    Apply for Additional Duties Commitments (ADC) providing he has a reserve liability. Be able to apply for a Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) commitment providing he has a reserve liability.
    Volunteer for mobilisation for operational service.

I showed ABN 05/09 to a Gurkha in Feb 09, he was coming to the end of 24 years (QGO) and jumped at the opportunity to move his skills across to the TA – and why not?
  15. One of my colour boys is a Gurkha and I'm T.A