Gurkhas, what are they like?

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by Crab_Cadet, Feb 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Edit, this was a shite post and a bone question. sorry

2. What an odd posting.

3. What are they like?

Usually Nepalese.

4. Sorry, maybe i wasn't clear. :oops:

I wanted to know what it is like to work with the gurkhas.

5. You have it the wrong way round, if you fail at being a Gurkha Officer it's then that you try and become a lowly RN jet fighter pilot!

6. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Well - how good are you at languages?

7. I'm fairly good at languages.

predicted a B in GCSE French

8. Gambling and strip-joints ...

... oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said 'Gurkhas - what do they like ?' ... :roll:

9. You haven't even finished your GCSE's and you want to command Nepal's finest ?! (but only in the unlikely event that you fail fast jet pilot selection ...)

Come back and ask when you start shaving :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fooking big-timer :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Erm, unless your willing to work bloody hard at Gurkhali maybe look at another unit - they are fantastic soldiers, from what i've met and heard, and the officers tend to be damn good. I went skiing with an ex-gurkha orificer, his stories were amazing but did stress how difficult the training is and the obvious langauge barrier.

Talk to your schools illaison officer, see what he thinks.

11. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I dunno...think it's good that some people have a clue about what they want to do. Bit odd choices though...

12. Real handy :lol:

Nip down to your local Army Careers Information Office, you're looking for info on becoming a Queen's Gurkha Officer.

If, and it's a big if, you make it, don't ever, ever upset them. They're right handy at lobbing grenades around offices.

13. Cheers for the advice, sorry i seem such a big timer, i've just got high ambitions

14. BBear I can't believe you're giving career advice on the strength that you once went ski-ing with an ex-Gurkha Offr ???!

Leave it to those in the know, eh

I'd suggest working bloody hard at any language you're trying to learn, but don't exaggerate the language aspect, Johnny gets taught English and nobody expects the white-eyes to turn up on day one being fluent in Nepalese.

If the lad wants to be in command of Brit Inf troops, then he's got some major hurdles ahead of him, languages not being one of them.

Good luck with it fella, I didn't have a clue about what I wanted from life at your age, you seem to have some ambition so all the best with it :wink:

15. Handy if you bump into Jean-Pierre Gurung the famous French Gurkha.