• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Gurkhas, what are they like?

Crab_Cadet said:
I'm hopefully going to join the Andrew as a fast jet pilot 8) , but in the (unlikely :lol: ) event that i'm rejected as unsuitable or unfit for the RN, I'm considering becoming an officer in the Gurkha's.

You haven't even finished your GCSE's and you want to command Nepal's finest ?! (but only in the unlikely event that you fail fast jet pilot selection ...)

Come back and ask when you start shaving :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fooking big-timer :lol: :lol: :lol:

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
Erm, unless your willing to work bloody hard at Gurkhali maybe look at another unit - they are fantastic soldiers, from what i've met and heard, and the officers tend to be damn good. I went skiing with an ex-gurkha orificer, his stories were amazing but did stress how difficult the training is and the obvious langauge barrier.

Talk to your schools illaison officer, see what he thinks.

C

cloudbuster

Crab_Cadet said:
I'm fairly good at languages.

predicted a B in GCSE French
Real handy :lol:

Nip down to your local Army Careers Information Office, you're looking for info on becoming a Queen's Gurkha Officer.

If, and it's a big if, you make it, don't ever, ever upset them. They're right handy at lobbing grenades around offices.

BBear said:
Erm, unless your willing to work bloody hard at Gurkhali maybe look at another unit - they are fantastic soldiers, from what i've met and heard, and the officers tend to be damn good. I went skiing with an ex-gurkha orificer, his stories were amazing but did stress how difficult the training is and the obvious langauge barrier.

BBear I can't believe you're giving career advice on the strength that you once went ski-ing with an ex-Gurkha Offr ???!

Leave it to those in the know, eh

I'd suggest working bloody hard at any language you're trying to learn, but don't exaggerate the language aspect, Johnny gets taught English and nobody expects the white-eyes to turn up on day one being fluent in Nepalese.

If the lad wants to be in command of Brit Inf troops, then he's got some major hurdles ahead of him, languages not being one of them.

Good luck with it fella, I didn't have a clue about what I wanted from life at your age, you seem to have some ambition so all the best with it :wink:

Handy if you bump into Jean-Pierre Gurung the famous French Gurkha.

Biscuits, i only used the french as an example of my language skills, I don't think that French will help me at all, whether it be flying, joining the Ghurkas or, i dunno, playing rugby. :roll:

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
Goose_Rider said:
BBear said:

BBear I can't believe you're giving career advice on the strength that you once went ski-ing with an ex-Gurkha Offr ???!

Leave it to those in the know, eh
You are, of course, absolutely correct. But I like to dig around here and there learning, I'm one of those gits thats always asking questions! Just trying to help anyways (edited: Also, forgot to mention that this was some of his advice...)

:lol: ...but on an **** point, I was inclined to believe that British officers in charge of Gurhkas would command their troops in Gurkhali, not english?

You will find loads in Middlesbrough, in large groups, mostly on weekends looking for ladies.

Why not pop a long, introduce yourself ask them about themselves, they may introduce you to large quantities of Ghurkha Rum & use you, I mean get jiggy, I mean you get the idea.

Good bunch of lads, work hard & play hard.

Gents,

I'm afraid Crab Cadet has no Idea of the outrage he has caused by suggesting that he becomes a Ghurka Officer only if he fails to become an RN fast-jet pilot.

The young man has not done any research on the Ghurkas and certainly has no concept of the difference between serving in the Ghurkas and the Andrew.

He doesn't understand that the competition to become a Ghurka Officer is higher and harder than beoming a fast-jet pilot.

He has no concept that the Ghurkas have traditionally taken the best from Sandhurst.

To be honest, he has no connections with the RGR and I doubt if they would even consider his application.

Crab Cadet - if you read this, let me tell you that you won't be accepted as a Ghurka Officer with your limited knowledge and God-awful attitude. Your only realistic choice today is the RN.

However if you are keen, then read "Bugles And A Tiger" by John Masters and "Imperial Warriors" by Tony Gould for a more down to earth view without any PR nonsense.

But please don't apply with a vague idea and a desire to treat the RGR as "second best", otherwise you have already failed in your own opinion and you certainly won't be happy with that will you?

Ah well you could always join the RAF regiment or be a snowdrop with your B in French. That was the best thing hearing on the phone when I was waiting to talk to an officer at the armed forces offices 'oh yes you need no qualifications to be an RAF police man'

Latest Threads