Gurkhas Under Threat

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by London_native, Sep 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

And? Are you trying to tell us something that we don't already know?

Every Government dept has been told to save between 20-40%. Each dept is saying how vital they are to the running of the country, and each is putting into the public domain potential sacrificial lambs.

The RGR, and asscociates, are such a sacrificial lamb. They may well lose some of their organisation - as will the rest of the forces - but Cameron is no fool. If he tries to axe the Ghurkas after last years events; he's on to a loser. Ergo RGR will still exist (albeit modified).
  2. I would have thought a website like that would have managed to find a better picture to illustrate the topic than one of the Ghurkha Contingent of the Singapore Police...?

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Another 'Ghurkas under threat thread. It's been so long since the last one.
  4. I thought Liam Fox said such claims were "bollocks".
  5. Where's that picture from? Doesn't look like our Gurkhas!
  6. I am sure they are Singapore police but certainly not Gurkhas. What a cracking start !
  7. If it is true, so much for the CMD and Clegg support last year when Saint Joanna was giving it laldy against the then government.
  8. Gurkhas are indeed fine men and totally loyal. But if it's a choice of cutting them or one of the other light infantry units like say the Paras or the Royal Marines?
  9. Oh, FFS — we're all under threat...even the walts!
  10. If it comes down to a choice between axing the Gurkhas or axing a home grown Battalion; which would you choose?
  11. They're Gurkhas and Singapore police, as someone mentioned earlier they are members of the Gurkha Contingent of the Singapore police.

They have problems of their own which might effect their long-time future. 16 of them were dismissed a year or two ago after a pay related fracas in which officers were allegedly assulted.
  12. Bloody shame to lose any capability, we can barely manage to put a real division in the field these days unless we rely on 16 AA and 3 Cdo Bde!!
  13. I think there might be something in it this time. Hope Ms Lumley is feeling fit.
  14. You forget its not just the Inf Gurkhas. There are Signals, Engineers and Logistic Gurkhas. I can see them, like us all trimmed down but not totally cut. But then maybe there is a reason they havnt built the new Gurkha Temple in Aldershot yet!!!