• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Gurkhas Under Threat

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
And? Are you trying to tell us something that we don't already know?

Every Government dept has been told to save between 20-40%. Each dept is saying how vital they are to the running of the country, and each is putting into the public domain potential sacrificial lambs.

The RGR, and asscociates, are such a sacrificial lamb. They may well lose some of their organisation - as will the rest of the forces - but Cameron is no fool. If he tries to axe the Ghurkas after last years events; he's on to a loser. Ergo RGR will still exist (albeit modified).

I am sure they are Singapore police but certainly not Gurkhas. What a cracking start !
They're Gurkhas and Singapore police, as someone mentioned earlier they are members of the Gurkha Contingent of the Singapore police.

They have problems of their own which might effect their long-time future. 16 of them were dismissed a year or two ago after a pay related fracas in which officers were allegedly assulted.

You forget its not just the Inf Gurkhas. There are Signals, Engineers and Logistic Gurkhas. I can see them, like us all trimmed down but not totally cut. But then maybe there is a reason they havnt built the new Gurkha Temple in Aldershot yet!!!

I see Osborne is demanding still deeper cuts
While some departments are likely to get away with reductions of 20%, others could lose more than 30% from their annual budgets. Headlines were made this week when BAE revealed that the Ministry of Defence had asked it to put forward an option for scrapping the entire £5.2 billion project to build two aircraft supercarriers, which opposition politicians claim could end Scottish shipbuilding and lead to 10,000 job losses.
In this climate it's not just the Gurkhas who are stuffed. They are just liable to be the first for the chop.

For all the "our boys" blather defense just isn't a priority for team Dave. This was entirely predictable, there's a pre-election paper from RUSI here. How deep the ax would bite was all that was in doubt. Deeper under the tax adverse, deficit obsessing Tories but by how much?

Having bravely decided the best defense was to hide behind Uncle Sam British defense spending has been falling pretty consistently since the Korean war. Despite the Cold War and a grudging commitment to NATO it fell 7% under Thatcher. Then 12% under Major. Under the missionary Mr Tony it rose 19% but was still trailing the other leaps in spending of that government. The NHS has been the consistent focus of these British governments, growth figures for that are +20%, +36%, +85%. RUSI optimistically predicted 10-15% cuts in defense and did not anticipate Osborne pushing the burden of Trident off to the MOD.

To be fair to team Dave this reflects the priorities of voters, it's an aging population and in the Tory case elderly voters are preponderant. With the decline of British manufacturing the defense lobby is now puny compared with the dominant force of The City has in shaping London's politics to its needs. Looking at the fragile state of Britain's economy I think we'll be looking at cuts over the level of 30%. There'll be very tight squeeze on the Army but the cruelest cuts to infantry regiments will come if (big if) the Pashtun war actually winds down by 2015. What amalgamated regiments are left will be described as light, agile and able to "punch above its weight" but will in reality be hollowed out and very, very cheap.

Sorry, but the QGS, QGE and the transport element of the Gurkhas add no real value. Speaking personally, the QGS are a bit of a waste of money, because they don't do anything above and beyond what the "British" troops do. To me, if there are going to be painful decisions made, then QGS and their likes have to be near the front of the queue.

They're Gurkhas and Singapore police, as someone mentioned earlier they are members of the Gurkha Contingent of the Singapore police.

They have problems of their own which might effect their long-time future. 16 of them were dismissed a year or two ago after a pay related fracas in which officers were allegedly assulted.
You say They're Gurkhas and Singapore police, sorry and please forgive my fudled brain as I rather thought they were one or other, not both! Singapore is independant and has as far as I know no Gurkhas there, I served with Gurkhas in HK and Brunei and remember the Singapore and HK police from the 80's.

You say They're Gurkhas and Singapore police, sorry and please forgive my fudled brain as I rather thought they were one or other, not both! Singapore is independant and has as far as I know no Gurkhas there, I served with Gurkhas in HK and Brunei and remember the Singapore and HK police from the 80's.
Traditionally there has been three channels for Nepalese to go into foreign service. Into the British Army, the Indian Army and the Gurkha Contingent of the Singapore Police.

They are seen by Singaporeans as a cross between the police paramilitaries and Lee Kwan Yew's praetorian guard ( I can't recall the street name where Lee now lives but it's a road running west off Orchard Road and you would recognise his home by the Gurkha guards standing outside)

They are also seen as a neutral force, unaligned with the three main racial groups in S'pore.

The sacking of the 16 led to a situation that would be farcical if it wasn't serious, one of the sacked, a Limbu blamed one of the officers, a Gurung for not doing enough to save him from being sacked. So back in Nepal, the now retired Gurung was kidnapped from a hefty ransom and was threatened with death by Limbu and some of his sacked colleagues.
Anyway, the kidnapping was foiled by the Nepalese police and, as far as I know, the kidnappers given hefty jail sentences.

Latest Threads