Gurkhas transferring out?

I had this come up on that there twitter recently...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Regt&#39;s Nepalese soldiers hosted Tihar celebrations yesterday with a charity curry and auction for <a href="The Soldiers'Charity (@Soldierscharity) | Twitter">@Soldierscharity</a> and <a href="Step by Step (@stepbystep1989) | Twitter">@stepbystep1989</a> <a href="27 Regiment RLC on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/HUHPqXylIm</a></p>&mdash; 27 Regiment RLC (@27RegimentRLC) <a href="">October 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I thought that all of the Gurkhas under the RLC umbrella would be in QOGLR?

Do Gurkhas get posted to other regiments outside of the Brigade of Gurkhas? Do they transfer out, e.g. from QGE to Royal Engineers or even RGR to Rifles?

If the majority of soldiers in Gurkha units want to stay in to pensionable age, compared to the British recruited army, then there is the problem that the units become 'top-heavy'
Most formations rely on early leavers to keep the average age younger and to avoid slow promotion prospects which can be a cause of dissatisfaction when compared with other units.
They also need a good flow of personnel to justify the recruiting process- if it drops below 100 a year it's going to make it unviable.
Transferring out is a solution so the answer to you question is yes.

Technically they're RLC (or attached) soldiers who are ex-ghurkas (and can be from any branch / trade of Bde of Ghurkas, not just QOGLR) who have re-badged and hold UK citizenship or ILR. If nothing else, another great way to spin your BAME stats.

I had this come up on that there twitter recently...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Regt&#39;s Nepalese soldiers hosted Tihar celebrations yesterday with a charity curry and auction for <a href="The Soldiers'Charity (@Soldierscharity) | Twitter">@Soldierscharity</a> and <a href="Step by Step (@stepbystep1989) | Twitter">@stepbystep1989</a> <a href="27 Regiment RLC on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/HUHPqXylIm</a></p>&mdash; 27 Regiment RLC (@27RegimentRLC) <a href="">October 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I thought that all of the Gurkhas under the RLC umbrella would be in QOGLR?

Do Gurkhas get posted to other regiments outside of the Brigade of Gurkhas? Do they transfer out, e.g. from QGE to Royal Engineers or even RGR to Rifles?
They are allowed to leave their regiments at their 5 year point. I know several in that photo. Some are ex RGR some are engineers.
Apart from the blantant prejudice in the caste system in Gurkha regiments that we all have to pretend doesn't exist. Why stay in a unit where promotion is like rocking horseshit.
One of the problems they are facing in the RLC is that they have to have been promoted to Cpl by their 12 year point (as does everyone else) because they are transferring at their 5 year point at the earliest they only have 7 years (usually less after all the faffing about is finished) to get promoted twice.

Last edited:

chimera

LE
Plenty of Gurkhas have transferred into the mainstream Army. QGE to RE, RGR (mainly) to AGC,

Latest Threads