Gurkhas to be given right to settle in Britain

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, May 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Well they've done the right thing on something then.

Telegraph story.
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Let's hope this is the real deal this time.

Let's also get onto the Conservatives and get some kind of guarantee that the Ghurka Regiment will survive and thrive during their term in office.
  3. good stuff!!!! nice to see a bit of justice being handed out to those who deserve. :D
  4. Good job Gordo. That'll deflect a bit of attention from you and the 'family', won't it?
  5. Here's hoping it's all it should be and not another bungled fudge. I have no problem with the Government imposing limits on wider family immigration, but I sincerely hope that their "careful restrictions on the rights of Gurkha relatives and dependents" do not include wives or children of tender years nor do they exclude the widows or non-adult children of Gurkhas who've given their lives in the service of our country.
  6. The Power of ARRSE combined with Joanna Lumley strikes again...
  7. This feels too good to be true - my cynical side is showing again. I'll only really believe it once it has been set in stone. 8O

I also agree with you DB on the limits of wider family, but it has to be done in a senisble way - which I doubt the Government has the capability of doing. I hope they prove me wrong. :D
  8. Fantastic news, as long as the statement doesn't have some slimey small-print again.

As an aside, is it just me that finds the photo of Miss Lumley just a bit too horny? If only I could afford Photoshop :twisted:
  9. Did anyone else glance askew at the headline? I know she's the prime mover and this would almost certainly not have happened without Her Lumleyness, but surely it's a victory for the Gurkhas?

I hope it's not a case of the messenger eclipsing the message.
  10. I know what you're saying, I did a double glance at the headline, but then I shrugged and thought it didn't really matter, so long as the Gurkhas get the settlement rights.
  11. I will wait and see the small print before rejoicing. Knowing this lot they will add something stoopid
  12. Purely because I dont know, (the only Ghurka I ever had a 'proper' chat with had been in 20 years and had a London 'twang' and talked for England !)

What would be the usual paths of employment they would pursue/take ? I am assuming pretty much what anyone else would depending on their likes/dislikes/skillset.

What trades/skills are indeginous to Nepal ? What do they get involved in once they are at working age if at home ? Will security type work predominate or will I have the joy of being overtaken by a former Ghurka on a tractor on the way to his 500 head of cattle ?

It will be interesting to see how it pans out long term and how much benefit these people will get from living somewhere with a more expansive set of choices.
  13. I think that the government has so comprehensivley painted itself into a corner with this, expenses, the speaker etc etc.

The upshot will be that, although we are absolutely correct to view anything they say with extreme suspision and close attention to the detail and the small print, they cannot now fudge this in any way. To do so would be the absolute last straw in the eyes of the voters.

That aside nothing this shower does could surprse me any longer.

edited to add - Completely forgot to say how bloody pleased I am that we have a victory at last, it's been a bloody long time coming.