Gurkhas , myth or reality ?

Thanks for the link, it led me to a walt and collaborator that I'd never heard of but who had a very varied career.
Douglas_Berneville-Claye
I realise there was a war on and all that but was nobody doing even rudimentary vetting?

"It was at this time that Claye started calling himself the Honourable Douglas St Aubyn Webster Berneville-Claye and enlisted as a private soldier in the West Yorkshire Regiment. He did not stay in the ranks for long. At enlistment, he claimed to have been educated at Charterhouse School, Magdalen College, Oxford, and Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and as a result was selected for officer training. The officer training was carried out at Pwllheli and Sandhurst, where he was granted his commission as a second lieutenant in October 1941."

Steiner hated ALL officers.
He got fast promotion once he accepted a commision though didn't he. From Feldwebel in 1943 to Obergruppenfuhrer und general der waffen ss in 1945 was some going.

If it was me though, I would have spent the rest of the war shacked up with Senta Berger if I could get away with it. Even if I didn't and ended up in front of a firing squad, I would have died happy. My last image as the order 'Fire' was barked out, would be of that glorious arrse.

Lots of commonwealth manage just fine, those in the story are just thick cnuts who think the MOD should wipe their arse for them.
Ten yours is long enough for most peaple to get British citizenship and sort it out for your family.Most of us who married foreign women knew enough to get it sorted. There are enough people who have done it before, and all the information is out there. Especially with the internet, and the relevant Government web sites.

Last edited:
He got fast promotion once he accepted a commision though didn't he. From Feldwebel in 1943 to Obergruppenfuhrer und general der waffen ss in 1945 was some going.

If it was me though, I would have spent the rest of the war shacked up with Senta Berger if I could get away with it. Even if I didn't and ended up in front of a firing squad, I would have died happy. My last image as the order 'Fire' was barked out, would be of that glorious arrse.

Was it glorious because the nappy enlarged it, ya perv? ;)

I realise there was a war on and all that but was nobody doing even rudimentary vetting?

"It was at this time that Claye started calling himself the Honourable Douglas St Aubyn Webster Berneville-Claye and enlisted as a private soldier in the West Yorkshire Regiment. He did not stay in the ranks for long. At enlistment, he claimed to have been educated at Charterhouse School, Magdalen College, Oxford, and Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and as a result was selected for officer training. The officer training was carried out at Pwllheli and Sandhurst, where he was granted his commission as a second lieutenant in October 1941."
Yes this case is almost identical ? looks like you could talk yourself into a commission at the time, just a good accent and an elaborate cover story?

To the original poster, for a balanced picture of Gurkhas, I'd actually point you towards some historical accounts. Bugles And A Tiger and The Road Past Mandalay by John Masters is account of his time with the 4th Gurkha Rifles on the NW Frontier and then in Burma. Another is Christopher Bullock's Journeys Hazardous; Gurkha Clandestine Operations Borneo 1965, whose subtitle pretty much explains its province.

I mention those particular authors because whilst they still have the fond opinion of their men that most British Officers do, neither is overly sentimental with and both are honest about their failings. In a similar vein of candid accounting, the best history on the Gurkhas that I've come across is Tony Gould's Imperial Warriors. Although be advised, it's heavy on Nepali history.
Agree with those, especially Tony Gould's book.

Two more worth reading;
1. For a social history of the Gurkhas but a good read;
Warrior Gentlemen: 'Gurkhas' in the Western Imagination
By Lionel Caplan
Unfortunately over-priced on Amazon

2. Autobiography of an officer with a Gurkha Battalion in Burma
A Child at Arms
By Patrick Davis
Going cheaply on Amazon

There is all these stories about Gurkhas going off the rails, but it is not as if units such as the Paras, Guards, and Marines haven't had their mishaps in various parts of the world.

Who will ever forget the exploits of C Company 1st Loamshires, heroes of many battles against the Fantasians from 1945-90, under the command of the redoubtable Major Bufton-Tufton, and a whore house in a foreign land that shall ever remain a part of England.
Or the green jackets on Cyprus, and Costas Georgiou of 1Para

If the 1st Loamshires, or 2nd Blankshires had been in Vietnam the war would be over by Christmas. Or the very latest by Tet.

Fine regiments. Never lost a battle. Broke many a fair ladies heart, and her hymen.
You won't find the Loamshires or Blankshires on any official British Army list, but every British soldier of a certain vintage has heard of them, if the grim reaper hasn't already carried them off.

Latest Threads