Gurkhas , myth or reality ?

One quant custom in the Brigade of Gurkhas in the eighties was that if a White British officer married an oriental girl, he could not continue serving in the Brigade. A young Captain in 1/7 GR in charge of their honour guard platoon in Korea told me that one of his collegues had married a Korean American girl and had to leave the battalion as a result. I somehow don't think this was written in QRs.

Of course it would not matter for the Corp officers such as QGS, QGE, and GTR as they just went back to the mainstream corp.

The Infantry officers did not really regard the corp officers as 'proper Gurkha officers', A bit like the Parachute Regiment regards non Para Reg who have only passed P Company, BPC, and are posted to a unit designated 'Parachute' and its personnel wearing red beret and wings as not proper paratroopers, but 'hat attached'

Hiring the boggies was never about cost, more the fact it was better to use them as cannon fodder than risk the lives of good English men.
My dad told me that all the Irish* PoW were taken aside in an attempt to get them to join the SS. They were asked why they were fighting for the English.

Apparently, the project ended in failure when one wag shouted from the back

"If you beat the English, who the feck are we going to fight?"

* Yes, my name is Bob and I'm a Plastic Paddy.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

One quant custom in the Brigade of Gurkhas in the eighties was that if a White British officer married an oriental girl, he could not continue serving in the Brigade. A young Captain in 1/7 GR in charge of their honour guard platoon in Korea told me that one of his collegues had married a Korean American girl and had to leave the battalion as a result. I somehow don't think this was written in QRs.

Of course it would not matter for the Corp officers such as QGS, QGE, and GTR as they just went back to the mainstream corp.

The Infantry officers did not really regard the corp officers as 'proper Gurkha officers', A bit like the Parachute Regiment regards non Para Reg who have only passed P Company, BPC, and are posted to a unit designated 'Parachute' and its personnel wearing red beret and wings as not proper paratroopers, but 'hat attached'
Have you been sharing chips with John_Beetlejuice?

A mate of mine who did a six month tour in the eighties said "You have heard of the third world, well Belize is the fourth world".
I did two tours in Belize in the 80s and really enjoyed them. Went back there in the noughties for an exercise the year after the Gurkha incident and it was quite different; much more American.

Yes I got your point. And the provocation. Your post was pointless, the follow up even more so, with added insult.
Don‘t reply. I am not interested in your thoughts or opinions on this, or any other, subject. It’s a big, wide world and we can all diverge onto our own trains of thought.
I take it you are one of the Fenians?

These were all still part of their own armed forces with national rank systems under their national governments in exile. They were equiped and trained in British methods and under British command. For example Polish Air Force personnel wore RAF uniforms with Polish ranks with RAF ID cards/ID discs.

Their aircraft had RAF roundels with the Polish flag on the nose. All this was to comply with the Geneva and Hague conventions and to ensure that any personnel captured were treated as POWs in accordance with the convention.The Germans generally respected the conventions with such personnel captured. This included Jewish members captured, although German jews were given false identity's for obvious reasons.
RAF used RAF ranks for Poles, Cz etc Flt Lt, Sqn Ldr etc. Only Free French retained national rank system.

My dad told me that all the Irish* PoW were taken aside in an attempt to get them to join the SS. They were asked why they were fighting for the English.

Apparently, the project ended in failure when one wag shouted from the back

"If you beat the English, who the feck are we going to fight?"

* Yes, my name is Bob and I'm a Plastic Paddy.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
I think you are referring to The British Frei Korps -

I did two tours in Belize in the 80s and really enjoyed them. Went back there in the noughties for an exercise the year after the Gurkha incident and it was quite different; much more American.
You upset someone in REMRO? Or Officers records office.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, it led me to a walt and collaborator that I'd never heard of but who had a very varied career.
Douglas_Berneville-Claye
I have always taken a lot of the story about him with a large piece of salt. Especially the part about being a Hauptsturmfuher on the staff of 3rd SS Panzer Korp. There is no evidence he spoke fluent German, and what role would he perform as a German staff officer. Walting will only get you so far.

And I would have thought Steiner would have more pressing things on his mind in March 1945 than dinner with a British traitor.

Its a bit like all the British officers who had dinner with Rommel after they were captured. He must have had a separate diary and entertainments officer marked 'Dinner with British officers'.

Fair play to him for bluffing and walting though. He must have wrote the first edition of 'Walting with Confidence'.

He sounds like a through cad and bounder though. He wouldn't have got into my club.

Last edited:
I have always taken a lot of the story about him with a large piece of salt. Especially the part about being a Hauptsturmfuher on the staff of 3rd SS Panzer Korp. There is no evidence he spoke fluent German, and what role would he perform as a German staff officer. Walting will only get you so far.

And I would have thought Steiner would have more pressing things on his mind in March 1945 than dinner with a British traitor.

Its a bit like all the British officers who had dinner with Rommel after they were captured. He must have had a seperate diary and entertainments officer marked 'Dinner with British officers'.

Fair play to him for bluffing and walting though. He must have wrote the first edition of 'Walting with Confidence'.

He sounds like a through cad and bounder though. He wouldn't have got into my club.
Steiner hated ALL officers.

There is all these stories about Gurkhas going off the rails, but it is not as if units such as the Paras, Guards, and Marines haven't had their mishaps in various parts of the world.

Who will ever forget the exploits of C Company 1st Loamshires, heroes of many battles against the Fantasians from 1945-90, under the command of the redoubtable Major Bufton-Tufton, and a whore house in a foreign land that shall ever remain a part of England.

Last edited:

Latest Threads