Gurkhas , myth or reality ?

If you read online comments about the Gurkha's most of them by people who have no idea what they're talking about insist that the Gurkha's are superhuman and merciless steely eyed dealers of death , my very limited experience of the para " trained" lot was that the RAF PJI's told us they gave up trying to train them and just hoped for the best, they were dropped separately from us on exercise and their drop was a cluster fcuk. The Gurkha's we saw on camp were scared of us and avoided us, they seemed to just follow orders blindly and without being led around like sheep were completely lost, they acted like children . My opinion was they were being given an easy time and given easy tasks and their reputation was just a huge myth.

Interesting to note that they promote another myth about their service in the Falklands war, which they never fired a shot in, so they're not strangers to a fib.

What do you think ?

On H9 I spent some time with them. They were keen, and eager to please (fnarrr, fnarr), but didn't seem any better / worse than any other infantry I've worked with.

Certainly not the superhumans some make out.

On H9 I spent some time with them. They were keen, and eager to please (fnarrr, fnarr), but didn't seem any better / worse than any other infantry I've worked with.

Except in the 2 superpowers the British Army is not having a good time in...recruitment & retention

Last edited:

That squares with my experience of working with them in Kosovo during 1999.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

When I lived in Quetta Park the Gurkha camp was adjacent. Drunken Gurkhas wandering around the married quarters was a common occurrence as was their Brit officers coming to apologise after the drunks were knocking on MQ doors.
I worked with a SSgt who had been with them on Hong Kong. He said if they were told to do something by a white non gurkha NCO they would go to their own NCOs to ask if they had to do it.
From memory a Company were sacked from Hong Kong after their QM was fragged in his office and in Belize a company were sacked after the Presidents son was beaten up (Possibly killed?)
I fail to see why we still have them apart from recruiting difficulties in our own population.

So according to my mate who's dad's a gurkha, since the British withdrawal from Hong Kong and hence the rebasing of Gurkhas to the UK, the English language/education requirement for Gurkhas has gone up. As a result, the Gurkhas these days are often better educated but less likely to have been those hardened up in the mountains and therefore less fitter. Anecdotely, the younger Gurkhas I've met definitely speak better English than the older ones. (Those of you who know me, know that in my day job I teach students at a univeristy with a signifiant number of Chinese student and the gurkhas speak better English than many of them). , so I suspect it could well be the case that they come in better educated.

Their availability is excellent. The soldiers rarely go sick. They will accept risk as if back in Nepal with regard to their own health and safety with the end result being that they stay focussed on mission. When attached arms they are superb assets - very wilco and tireless. Its when they have their own officers in tow that the 'union rules' start coming into play - I suspect more from their offrs than the soldiers themselves.

I too had to deal with them on H9. They didn't do themselves any favours when a white Sgt went into one of their tents to accuse them of something and they all turned on him violently. It blackened the "nails" opinion of them somewhat

I too had to deal with them on H9. They didn't do themselves any favours when a white Sgt went into one of their tents to accuse them of something and they all turned on him violently. It blackened the "nails" opinion of them somewhat
It's quite noticeable that in so many accounts of Gurkha 'fracas', the Gurkhas have substantial numerical superiority.

Remember that there is a easier LE process for Gurkhas than non-Gurkha. Also there is an internal promotion process which does not always match the OC/CO's version. But serving with them can be both good and bad, but so can every other unit. Spent my final 6years with them.

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
They once made me a gurkha curry but I had to pay for the goat. I've never trusted them since.

It's quite noticeable that in so many accounts of Gurkha 'fracas', the Gurkhas have substantial numerical superiority.
In this case, the Sgt basically walked into a lion's den and kicked off. He may have deserved the beating for being tactless

Mate of mine tells a story about them at Chatham. Some RE lad offended them by using their slop tub thing at scoff. They followed him out, filled him in. Apparnelty held him up whilst basically unconscious and took turns flying kicking him. Only stopped when some para RE lads got involved.

Would that not be true of all Regiments though?

Mates are hardly going to sit around and watch one of their own get picked on?

Oyibo

LE
My few encounters with the Gherkins:

• Gurkhas attached to 5AB Bde - scotchbriting MIRA lenses
  • Adventure training while at RMAS (they do wear their y-fronts in the showers). For some reason they said I should join the Gurkhas - maybe due to my magnificent appendage.
  • Having a section attached to my Pl in Corsica - on a Pl attack I put them in reserve and they sat and did not move (they had not been ordered to move). In fairness, when I ran back and told them to effing move they did quite quickly.
  • MMG Pl Comds course - a very switched on Gurkha Sgt telling me he could not be seen to do better in the classroom because there was a Gurkha WO2 on the course (who was thick as f***)

Oyibo

LE
When I lived in Quetta Park the Gurkha camp was adjacent. Drunken Gurkhas wandering around the married quarters was a common occurrence as was their Brit officers coming to apologise after the drunks were knocking on MQ doors.
I worked with a SSgt who had been with them on Hong Kong. He said if they were told to do something by a white non gurkha NCO they would go to their own NCOs to ask if they had to do it.
From memory a Company were sacked from Hong Kong after their QM was fragged in his office and in Belize a company were sacked after the Presidents son was beaten up (Possibly killed?)
I fail to see why we still have them apart from recruiting difficulties in our own population.
A friend was with the Bde at the time. He is not impressed by them.

ETA:

Last edited:

Latest Threads