Gurkhas in NI

I can recall reading years back that one of the Irish mobs did a punishment posting after handbags at kebab time in tidworth

1 Royal Irish, and before that the Irish Rangers served in NI, as did the likes of the Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.

Not as often perhaps as other capbadges in the listings, perhaps, but there was no stipulation to 'not go' and the likes of the RGJ, Paras, LI, Anglians sort of dominated the tours by virtue of having 3 Bns.

A quick skim over the Irish Ranger's history shows that they were deployed to/in Cyprus for most of the early '70s (1Bn) and Gibraltar (2bn). NI wasn't the only game in town. We also had a pretty hefty commitment along the IGB, which was a real threat at the time (I appreciate now we think back and believe it was all drinking and chasing SOXMIS wagons).

IIRC the 5th Inniskillings deployed in the 1980's (but before the Falklands). 1 Irish Rangers deployed in 1988, as the first ever Irish Inf Bn according to the wiki, no mention of 2 Bn ever going.

I think the confusion arises from Province based TA units. They specifically stated in their advertising that the volunteers for such units would not be used for internal security tasks, thus differentiating them from the part time soldiers in HS Bns of the UDR, and later Royal Irish Regiment.
My bold. I think I know what you're trying to say, but vanishingly few soldiers were KIA on IGB patrols or drinking Keo in Cyprus. To try and make some sort of comparison is, well, inappropriate.

HHH

GCM
1 Royal Irish, and before that the Irish Rangers served in NI, as did the likes of the Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.

Not as often perhaps as other capbadges in the listings, perhaps, but there was no stipulation to 'not go' and the likes of the RGJ, Paras, LI, Anglians sort of dominated the tours by virtue of having 3 Bns.

A quick skim over the Irish Ranger's history shows that they were deployed to/in Cyprus for most of the early '70s (1Bn) and Gibraltar (2bn). NI wasn't the only game in town. We also had a pretty hefty commitment along the IGB, which was a real threat at the time (I appreciate now we think back and believe it was all drinking and chasing SOXMIS wagons).

IIRC the 5th Inniskillings deployed in the 1980's (but before the Falklands). 1 Irish Rangers deployed in 1988, as the first ever Irish Inf Bn according to the wiki, no mention of 2 Bn ever going.

I think the confusion arises from Province based TA units. They specifically stated in their advertising that the volunteers for such units would not be used for internal security tasks, thus differentiating them from the part time soldiers in HS Bns of the UDR, and later Royal Irish Regiment.
The Royal Irish Rangers & The Irish Guards didn't have to do Op Banner tours (until 1988 when the Rangers did their first Op Banner tour)
However individual members did serve as attachments etc but there were no formed units.

My bold. I think I know what you're trying to say, but vanishingly few soldiers were KIA on IGB patrols or drinking Keo in Cyprus. To try and make some sort of comparison is, well, inappropriate.
No arguments there but if you were a staff officer of the time would you be cuffing it with unit deployments or trying to play at the top of your game?

I think I remember from somewhere that there was an agreement between the Nepalese government and the U.K. Government re their operational deployment. There is also the fact that they would have stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb (even more so than a British squaddie) when off duty in 70's and 80's Ulster - there was not the racial diversity that there is in NI today - though that's nothing to what one currently sees in UK mainland cities.

Last edited:

HHH

GCM
In the mid 70''s the Press phoned up the Army Press Desk in Thiepval to ask if any Gurkhas were serving in NI they were told no there wasn't any, the person telling them this was a Captain in the Gurkhas !!

Entirely possible I suppose that some officers were on secondment , were they Nepalese or British officers? In the mid 70's even I was still at secondary school!

Chimp

ADC
I'm pretty sure that Gurkhas served in OPs in South Armagh in the late 80's - they weren't allowed to patrol just man the things.

I'm pretty sure that Gurkhas served in OPs in South Armagh in the late 80's - they weren't allowed to patrol just man the things.
Really?

I don't think so.

As mentioned before, there were QGOs attached to Brit units that deployed with them every now and then.

The closest dit I heard that came close to matching a formed unit being deployed was lots of Gurkha Engineers being sent in to help with work on either Golf or Romeo Towers in an op (?Bronski?) that involved lots of troops securing some large route cordon as well.

Think this was late 80s/early90s?

Edit to add: I'll check with someone who might know if this has any grounds for truth

Last edited:
Entirely possible I suppose that some officers were on secondment , were they Nepalese or British officers? In the mid 70's even I was still at secondary school!
Might be confused by Gurkha as in regiment or Gurkha as in a term denoting nationality. Quite a few RGJ officers were seconded to Gurkha units at one time or another. The late Ian Cordon-Lloyd had been a Gurkha OC prior to returning to RGJ.
Then again, if any Gurkha's (by nationality) were with the Hereford Gun Club then I guess they could have been in NI any time from 74 onwards. (Yeah yeah, I know, the SAS weren't in NI until 76 - but that is ballox too.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I work with ex Gurkha's and have asked this question to a few of them over the years. It's a mixed bag of responses, some say no some say yes. One of those that said yes, said they were not in uniform so were not patrolling but were used as painters and decorators, he wouldn't elaborate on where or when though.

Queen's Gurkha officers
As mentioned before, there were QGOs attached to Brit units that deployed with them every now and then.
QGOs is/was a term used for the Gurkha LE community. ie a Nepalese born chappy, who has joined the Gurkhas got to WO2/1 and then commissioned. At one point distinguished by the RGR colours of Red, Black and Green running through their pips and crowns.

Do you mean the BRITAP officers of the Gurkha units?

Don't forget, you have Nepalese who have DE joined the British Army. RLC have a fair few who are usually recruited from Hong Kong and others. They are not classed as Gurkha's which provide mild amusement if you serve in a Gurkha Unit and you get these guys arrive and they are welcomed with open arms...not!

Don't forget, you have Nepalese who have DE joined the British Army. RLC have a fair few who are usually recruited from Hong Kong and others. They are not classed as Gurkha's which provide mild amusement if you serve in a Gurkha Unit and you get these guys arrive and they are welcomed with open arms...not!
A relatively new phenomenon.

I've not seen any issues between the two groups of serving Nepalese troops. The Gurkha unit usually ensures they are looked after religiously and invites them to cultural get togethers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blackmetallic The NAAFI Bar 6
S Waltenkommando 2
blonde_guy Gurkhas 4

Latest Threads