Gurkhas in NI

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by Hantslad, Apr 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And your point is?
  2. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I think he is referring to the GSM in the picture. But they were not exclusive to NI.
  3. Exactly, but my question was, 'And your point is?'

Is the civie in uniform calling Jonney Gurkha a walt or is he just ignorant of the fact that GSMs were for 'General Service' hence it not being called the 'General Service in NI medal'!
  4. I take it because of the GSM, not necessarily for service in Ireland, and I 've never heard of Gurkhas on acitive service in N.I. certainly not en masse as a regiment anyway.
  5. In 8 years in N.I. I never saw a gurkha..
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Bars available for the Campaign Service Medal 1962 to 2007. (I'm going to be a bit of an anorak here. The General Service Medal is only correct for the GSM 1918 to 1962. The correct name for the 62 - 07 medal is CSM but it is never known as that. If you don't believe me take a look at the box they come in.)

Bars available for the Campaign Service Medal 1962 to 2007:

BORNEO - for service in North Borneo, Sarawak and Brunei between 24 December 1962 and 11 August 1966.

RADFAN - for operations in the South Arabian Federation between 23 April and 31 July 1964.

SOUTH VIETNAM -Instituted 8 June 1968 for service in Vietnam between 24 December 1962 and 29 May 1964. 1 day on land, 1 operation sortie or 30 days at sea or on official visits qualified.

SOUTH ARABIA - for 30 days' service in the Federation of South Arabia between 1 August 1962 and 30 November 1967.

MALAY PENINSULA - for 30 days' service in the Malay Peninsula and Singapore area between 17 August 1964 and 11 August 1966

NORTHERN IRELAND - for 30 days' service in the province from 14 August 1969 to 31 Oct 07.

DHOFAR - for service between 1 October 1969 and 30 September 1976.

LEBANON - for service between 7 February 1983 and 9 March 1984.

MINE CLEARANCE - for service in the Gulf of Suez between 15 August and 15 October 1984.

GULF - for service between 17 November 1986 and 31 October 1988, and mine countermeasures in the Gulf up to 28 February 1989.

KUWAIT - for service between 8 March and 30 September 1991.

N. IRAQ & S. TURKEY - for service between 6 April and 17 July 1991.

AIR OPERATIONS IRAQ - for service since 16 July 1991 TO March 2003.
  7. The civvy in uniform was not calling Johnny Gurkha a walt. The civvy in unfiform had the pleasure of working with Johnny in Bosnia in 2001 and has a great deal of respect for the him and his mates. The civvy in uniform was just wondering how a Gurkha managed to get a Northern Ireland medal.

On reflection, as the picture is very small, there is no way of telling which clasp it is which is on his GSM.

So I guess we will never know the answer

I am in no way ignorant as the the origins of the General Service Medal
  8. Well obviously you are by the mere fact your equate GSM+Gurkhas=Service in NI (- Gurkhas didn't serve in NI)=Silly question.
  9. I have fallen foul of posting before thinking

thanks for pointing out how thick I am
  10. No worries bud, your avtar gave it away in any case.... :lol:
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Actually chaps I've read the rest of the article and the good news is that Communities Secretary Hazel Blears said ministers would listen "carefully" to what the protesters had been saying.

"I think we have to listen very carefully to what the Gurkhas are saying out there today demonstrating in a very peaceful, very honourable way..."

So all will be well and UK PLC will do the honourable thing. Too good to be true... I'm afraid she went on to say:

"...but I do think it is difficult to do things retrospectively," she said.

I think I can translate that into terms that Arrsers will understand and be used to from Nue Arbiet spinners.

"Yeh, yeh, yeh, whatever, now f@ck off because you are irritating me"
  12. Ha ha

If you allow me to para-phrase Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop
    "I wasn't always a crab"
  13. :D
  14. The Gurkhas never served in NI,The GSM in the picture could be for anywhere,only way to tell is by looking at the bar.