Gurkhas in NI?

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by Dwarf, Aug 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My newspaper (Spanish) has today run an article on Gurkhas achieving the same rates of pay etc. as the rest of the Army.
    In their article they state that they served in WW1, contributed to Hitler's defeat, fought in the Falklands, Borneo and Northern Ireland, participated in Peace Missions in Sierra Leone, The Balkans and East Timor, as well as serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I was under the impression that they didn't serve in NI as a unit. can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

2. Had a meeting with RGR very recently, with a view to joining them, and I was told by the Officer (along with the other gents) that the Gurkhas had never served in NI, but had served pretty much everywhere else.

3. Just heard a news report on Radio Ulster that ex Gurkhas are to be employed in NI as protection for NCP Traffic Wardens in "certain areas of NI where there appears to be a high level of motor tax evasion."
    CP Teams for traffic wardens!!! Apparently they really haven't gone away you know!!!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6959931.stm

4. Peace in NI my fcuking arrse. There will never be peace in NI in our lifetime. The sh1te of the seventies and eighties need to eventually die off before old hatred and the high level of violent crime subside.

Paddys i know in the mob still have to hide behind their civvies. Says it all really!

5. They did take part in some duties in the provence, notibly recruiting with 1 R. Irish. The battalion recruited a company of Gurkhas due to reduced numbers.

6. [quote="Bad_Crow]
    Peace in NI my fcuking arrse. There will never be peace in NI in our lifetime. The sh1te of the seventies and eighties need to eventually die off before old hatred and the high level of violent crime subside.

Paddys i know in the mob still have to hide behind their civvies. Says it all really![/quote]

Being from Belfast I would tend to agree with the above. Ever since the "peace process," began attitudes have hardened over here. It has polerised everyone into a "us vs them," way of thinking. When the troubles were at its hight at least everyone (by and large) pulled together in adverisity.

Anyway... 8O

I just read the BBC report from Shovels link. Its called operation Nepal lol. Be someone lost sleep thinking that one up.

7. Being from Belfast I would tend to agree with the above. Ever since the "peace process," began attitudes have hardened over here. It has polerised everyone into a "us vs them," way of thinking. When the troubles were at its hight at least everyone (by and large) pulled together in adverisity.

Anyway... 8O

I just read the BBC report from Shovels link. Its called operation Nepal lol. Be someone lost sleep thinking that one up.[/quote]

True. Just look at our two main political parties; attitudes have escalated to the point that the more extreme politicians are winning by clear majority. I gave up voting when I realised that it was becoming a DUP versus Sinn Féin fight, marginalising more traditionally liberal parties. It seems that now the violence has abated, probably as much as it ever will, people are happy to divide themselves into two oppositionary camps instead of looking to less stubborn politicians to help further the peace process (which, in my opinion, isn't finished yet).

To get back on topic, I never realised how dangerous life could be as a traffic warden :roll:

8. Lol I just had a vision of a traffic warden handing out a ticket on the Falls and getting threatened by some hoody with a knife. Out comes the kukiri.....

Que all the crocodile dundee lines!!!!

That thought is going to keep me smiling all day lol. Pure comedy :lol:

9. :judge: :clap:

10. Why thank you! It had me soaking my knickers yesterday lol. :headbang:

11. Try telling that to the poor HS-PT bloke a few years ago who worked as a traffic warden. Was "threatened" by some old homeless bloke armed with a can of red stripe in Belfast city centre. HS-PT fella, clearly in fear for his life, pulls his PPW and arrests the p1ss-head.

Que lots of apologies from the OC and one less armed traffic warden on the streets of Belfast.

12. The Gurkhas never served in NI as a formed unit, but a few QGOs ahve served with Rifle regiments, one of whom commanded a Company on public order ops.

13. Whilst no RGR battalion served in Northern Ireland, individual Gurkha officers did; at least a chap that I know did, sometime in the period 1999-2002.

14. Wouldn't be the same fella that almost chopped his hand off trying to lop the top of a bottle of champagne. With a khukri his oul man presented to the UDR batt he commanded in the early 90's IIRC. In fairness it was very late on and he was as full as a pike. As drunk as I may have been, twas very funny!