Gurkhas 16AA

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by danny842003, Oct 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was just reading wiki and a few articles mentioned that the UK gurkha regt would rotate with the paddys and the jocks. Was just wondering if this had happened yet. Or if it was ever likely to happen.
  2. Suppose to happen after 5 year mark, if you look closely at 3 Cdo Bde orbat you will see a RGR Btn in there instead.
  3. Really? Im in 3 cdo brigade and i didnt know this. I know on H14 there were gurkhas there. But my understanding was they were just making up the numbers rather than being part of the brigade.
  4. I thought the whole point of binning the arms plot was that units wouldn't move around anymore, just individuals within a regiment.
  5. Second Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles (2RGR) will soon return to their base in Brunei after a six month tour in Afghanistan on HERRICK 14. First Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles (1RGR) returned to their base in Shorncliffe from HERRICK 12 in Nov 2010.

2 RGR on this tour were involved in the full spectrum of conflict; fire-fights on the ground against the insurgents, numerous patrols in the blazing desert heat to ensure a high level of security, shauras between key influential leaders to engage and to win the support of the local population and most importantly the role of advising and mentoring the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF).

With two companies employed as ground-holding companies, to allow for the setting in place of governance and development, the remainder of 2RGR made up the Brigade’s main effort; training the Afghan National Police as part of the Police Mentoring and Advisory Group (PMAG).

For many of the Gurkhas from 2RGR this was their 4th or 5th tour of Afghanistan. This experience added to their natural cultural affinity with the locals and their language skills, patience and natural good humour have made them an excellent asset to the role International Security and Assistance Forces (ISAF) are playing in Helmand province.

Herrick 9 3 Cdo Bde was the HQ Bde with 2 RGR under its command.
    Herrick 14 2 RGR returned again this year.

1 Rifles are part of 3 Cdo Bde, my mistake for stating that a RGR Btn was.
  6. Several Light Role Bns still move around, especially the Guards.

The problem being moving from a Inf structure based on the Arms plot to one based on Bns staying put. You don't want to have a Bn permanently on Demo in Warminster for example, nor would even the Guards be particuarly impressed with being on permanent PDs!!!
  7. Thanks for the clarification, there was I thinking that some infanteers were going to get a bum deal out of the new arrangement, with the only way to achieve some variety being at the expense of having to leave the battalion you've 'grown up' in behind.
  8. No there is still that leaving hte bn option.

For example.

1 Rifles is a Light Role (Cdo Support).
    2, 3 and 4 are Light Role
    5 is Armoured.

If you were 5 and wanted a spot of Light you'd have to move. Likewise if you are promoted, you may find your PID is in a different Bn.

Within the Guards there are two bns on PDs, which swap with two bns in the Light role job lot (ie arms plot). But the Scots Guards are Armoured and do not swap in and out with the other four at present.
  9. Not any more AFAI can tell. The Coldstreams have just been posted to Windsor for about 8 years and the Irish to Aldershot for about the same.
  10. This is because of some drama's the Irish got in whilst they were in Windsor, although I've heard we might be staying in Aldershot for a while with the Welsh staying in Hounslow.

It is the Army Rumour Service after all
  11. I didn't notice any. Well, nothing much anyway.
  12. Like I said, this is the Army Rumour Service
  13. I heard they're renaming the Irish Guards... the Brummy Guards.
  14. Though Liverpool Guards would be more like it.... I stayed with the Micks last year before H13, nice enough bunch of blokes, never saw any bother "doon the toon"
  15. Sadly it will most likely read 1 RGR Brunei and 2 RGR for the chop. Too costly. And we all know the choices are only based on financial "sense"!