Gurkha Welfare Trust

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by PappaRat, Dec 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Joanna Lumley is launching the 'Debt of Honour' appeal - -to raise millions for elderly veterans of the Second World War living in poverty in Nepal.

The appeal launched with The Gurkha Welfare Trust, aims to raise £10m for 10,000 Gurkha soldiers and their widows in Nepal. These veterans, many war wounded and honoured for their service to this country, are surviving on little more than £30 a month and need our support more than ever.

The appeal builds on the success of the campaign earlier this year to secure the right for Gurkhas to settle in this country, by ensuring those many veterans who remain in Nepal are not neglected. Raising £10m will help ensure those unwilling or unable to come to the UK are cared for with dignity in their homeland.

Commenting on the appeal, Joanna said:

"Our 'Debt of Honour' to the Gurkhas remains. They helped fight our wars and keep our peace. They stood up for us and now is the time to stand up for them."

"There are 10,000 very elderly veterans in Nepal who need our support right now. Anyone wishing to donate can find out how at"

"I was very proud to be associated with the Gurkha Justice Campaign and having met many of these veterans during my visit to Nepal in July, I am more determined than ever to ensure we repay our debt of honour we so clearly owe these brave men -- before it is too late."

It was also announced today that Miss Lumley has been appointed Vice-Patron of The Gurkha Welfare Trust.

All the money raised will go towards providing monthly welfare pensions, medical care and community aid projects for Gurkha villages.