Gurkha question

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by exile1, May 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My missus woke up this morning and said..... [as far as I can remember] ..... " in future years the sons of Gurhka soldiers brought up and educated in UK may want to follow their fathers into Gurkha regiments, at the same time we will still be recruiting in Nepal. Although hopefully the UK boys will not have soaked up the worst excesses of British youth they will still have been tainted by it. Will this not inevitably dilute the resolve of the Gurkhas and cause dissension in the ranks leading to what? It seems to me that it could mirror the situation of the W.Indian youth. Their grandparents came to UK, worked hard and lived decent, god fearing lives but with each generation things have become increasingly out of hand and those elderly immigrants must despair."

A bit too heavy for me on a Sunday morning so said I would post her missive on ARRSE and find out what the man on the arrse ominbus thinks.

My personal take on it is that generally, once a man joins the UK military, irrespective of antecedents, will do the business as asked. [vis-a-vis the sons/grandsons of WI's born in the UK and soldiers direct from the WI's like Beharry VC.]

2. Sons of gurkhas born in UK will be UK citizens and be able to join the British Army direct.
    Why renounce british citizenship, go back to Nepal to try out against significantly higher odds and still end up in the British Army but on less good TACOS?

3. So many Gurkhas apply each year that we will maintain a steady flow. Descendants of serving and ex-Gurkhas who move to this country, as SBP says, will be able to join the Army direct.

4. I think the point that Exile1 is trying to make is that the UK-born Ghurkas will be tainted by the chavscum that they will have grown up with, whereas the Nepal Ghurkas will retain the true Ghurka values and ethos. Will this result in a dilution of the Ghurka?

As an aside, there is nothing in this thread which alters the right of Ghurkas to reside in this country.

5. I think that the Gurkha's will integrate well into British society and the aspirations of their children may well head in directions other than the military.

Many of the Chinese and Indians that migrated here as gold miners and labourers, now have children as captains of industry, surgeons, lawyers and whatever. A little bit of opportunity and who knows?
    Anyway, good on them and I wish them luck.

6. Would this be allowed? Surely anyone born in the UK could only join the RGR etc. as an officer? Children of Gurkhas, born in the YK, as other people have written above, would be able to join any part of the army as a soldier except the Gurkhas.

7. I may be wrong, but as I understood it eligibility to join the Gurkhas was based of Nepali nationality rather than ethnicity, albeit with a lingering remnant of 'martial races theory' hanging on. I don't think a British national will be able to join except as an officer.

8. Don't worry about it.I'm sure Joanna will soon be telling the present gobmint what to do.

9. I think they could join either, but why you would want to choose a Gurkha only reg im not sure.
    Had one 'Brit' Gurkha at my first Sigs unit, nice chap, but completly opposite to 'normal' Gurkhas, not just that he couldnt claim not to understand you when he didnt want to do something......

10. A gurkha is a nepalese citizen who comes from certain tribal groups and areas in Nepal and serves in either the Indian Army, British Army or Gurkha Contingent Singapore Police Force in specific gurkha titled units.

There won't be UK born gurkhas, just UK citizens of Nepalese origins, brought up in patriarchial families with strong army traditions. Some will inevitably fall in with "chavscum", but I think it will be a few generations before any major impact will be felt.

Ref these true gurkha values and ethos, within the brigade there has been a long running debate for many years over the recruitment of "hill boys" fresh off the mountain and "town boys", sons of gurkhas who have settled in Kathmandu and Pokhara urban areas.
    In some ways its like the easterner/westerner debate - not very important in the big picture/long run, as all do well.

11. I don’t know if times have changed the ethos of the Ghurkha.
    Or should I say how the ranking structure is at, in this present day.
    What I do know is that many years ago, their ranking was tribal based including their leadership.
    Example a son of a chief in one village would obviously have rank if and when passing through to their Regiment.
    The ceremony of the bull’s head cut, if not in one swipe, does that village / tribe still get sent home in disgrace?
    So how would this affect them now, will it change or has it already changed years ago?

12. there is nothing that says the Ghurka's wont register their kids as Nepalese, in which case they will still be able to join any Ghurka Regiment, its just that they will be born here, its the same kind of situation for Brits in Germany, Cyprus etc, they can be registered as that nationality or as British, or even go for Dual Nationalit, this is if my memory is correct, if not please feel free to correct me.

13. You are still missing the point of the Gurkha regiments, their bloody nails selection process. If the descendants of the gurkhas want to join these regiments, they would still have to pass the selection process, like every other gurkha has since the beginning....

14. i did miss that one, hopefully though, no matter where they are born, if they want to join a Ghurka Regiment then they will have no doubt been training to complete the selection process, admittidley that could be a little more difficult if they are UK born as not as mainy mountains to run up and down. but as has already been said, the standards and ethos of the Ghurka's will prevail if they really want in, i can't see any of them succumbing to the chav stereotype and letting the side down, and the failure to get in is still a huge thing amonst the Ghurka's, which is why they put huge nets on either side of the "bridge of despair" in Nepal where the selection takes place, as those that fail to get in usually jumped off and killed themselves to prevent the shame of not getting in rubbing off on their families.

15. On the best authority I am told that in 2008 there were 230 'vacancies' for young men to join - 17,000 plus applied.