Gurkha Justice - a new petition for No.10

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jeremy996, Dec 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to honour the 2004 pledge to give retired Gurkhas the right to become citizens of the UK on retirement and to pay retired Gurkhas a fair pension........."

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkha/

Got to be worth a thought.

(Mods: if I have put this in the wrong forum, please move it - if I have duplicated a thread, please add a link).

2. Is this a good idea?

Will Gurkhas not then become as expensive as local brits therefore be priced out of the market as it were?

If we have to pay as much for Johnny as for Tommy should we not look at employing Tommy only?

Would we be breaking agreements made with India?

I accept that recruiting Tommy is not easy these days but my experience of Gurkhas is not 100% wonderful.

Probably have to pack up and leave prior to soime serious incoming.

Bye.

3. Rayc

Rayc RIP

I don't think India is involved since during the Independence, the Gurkhas of the British Indian Army were given the choice individually to opt for which country they would like to serve.

Those who wished to serve the British were clubbed into the 2nd, 6th (?), 7th and the 10th Gorkha Rifles. Those who volunteered for the Indian Army were clubbed in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th and 11 Gorkha Rifles.

Thus, India had no lien on them or they on India.

4. A fair pension. More weasel words finding their way into legislation. Who would assess what is 'fair'? If JG chooses to come to live in UK rather than Nepal, would his pension be increased to take account of highjer cost of living? I seem to think that if a Brit soldier moved to an area where cost of living is higher than UK, he gets F/all increase.Lot of them in Saudi private security - get the House of Saud to demand better conditions. In light of SFO job re bungs, they'd get what was wanted.
    Oh yes - before Bde of Ghoorkas send the boys round to my house - this is meant to be ironic and not knocking.

5. Do we not have some kind of three way agreement with Us, Nepal and India setting conditions, pay etc?

I also think Nepal relies on the money ex-Ghurkha's bring in.

6. Rayc

Rayc RIP

There was a three way agreement as far I can recall. However, it mostly India and the UK.

The British pound is BIG money, both in India and more so in Nepal.

Nepal indeed depends on money raked in by their non residents and their citizens from abroad as all other third world countries including India.

7. We wheel them out every conflict and they always come through for us, why shouldn't they get what everyone gets, I'd rather the benifits of being british go to them and not to some lazy scrote asylumn seeker.

time to see jonnie right

8. If Johnny is joining when Tommy is not (i.e. under manning), then they deserve everything that we get. Including Tommy's citizenship. They will make up an absolutely minimal percentage of the current UK immigrant population and can at least be trusted to be known as someone that has positively contributed towards society.

That goes for ALL "foreign" troops joining.

Nationality of last living VC anyone?

9. If Johnny is joining when Tommy is not (i.e. under manning), then they deserve everything that we get. Including Tommy's citizenship. They will make up an absolutely minimal percentage of the current UK immigrant population and can at least be trusted to be known as someone that has positively contributed towards society.

That goes for ALL "foreign" troops joining.

Nationality of last living VC anyone? (and yes I know he wasn't a Gurkha but the point stands)

10. Just got up and noticed it was so right I posted it twice :)

11. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Good for you.

You are a fair person.

Further, all soldiers who have worn the British uniform are nostalgic about Great Britain and so was my father who was in the British Indian Army!

I imbibed much from him too, even though I never served the British. I lived my father's love for the British through the 'British' legacy in our independent Indian Army!

To be sure, it is a wonderment to find the sea change in the British Army (CDS thread)!

12. With all the immigrantes then come here, (legally and illegally) why shouldn't they get a fair deal.

Johnny G has done more for Britain than most Brits I know, it only seems fair.

Sorry for mong spelling

13. Good lord this was done to death months ago on the Gurkha forum!

Nepalis enlist fully aware of Gurkha TACOS, they were pretty much agreed to by the signatories of the tri-partite agreement in 1948 ensuring parity for Nepali men joining the armies of Nepal, India and the UK.

Johnny may retire on a full pension after 15 years, would that Tommy, Jock - or even Nigel - could!
    I fully support parity of pay and allowances, availability of MQs etc., though cannot support parity of pensions between Tommy and Johnny.

The reason Johnny and his muckers join up in droves is purely and simply the PAY - which is approximately 800% more than he can earn at home - and his 15 year pension which is worth 400% more than the median wage for Nepalis!
    Heavens above if we were to offer young Brits 800% more than the average wage we would'nt need the services of foreign nationals, regardless of sentimental attachment.

If we are to automatically grant citizenship to Johhny on retirement then disband Gurkha units and recruit them directly, in larger numbers, into British units same as we do Fijians, West Indians etc., though I imagine India would resurrect the tri-partite treaty! BTW do we automatically grant citizenship to Fijians et al? Think not.

14. I know a Retired Half Col, ex Gurkha Rifles, served alongside his battalion in my time in Brunei many years ago.
    He has been very posative in his dealings with Johnny G post retirement and recived a MBE for his efforts.
    One one occasion while discussing his former troops he mentioned that there are More 'Gurkhas' in Hong King Now then ever in the Brit days.
    Most are the Dependants of the Troops who served. and then stayed on mainly in the private security organisations.
    Brought up in Hong Kong, these dependants, show more and more of what we Brits would call the 'Chav' influence and are not a Posative influence.
    There is no way the majority could serve as Gurkhas, very few can return to Nepal and Pass the Strict entrance test.
    I will agree that if Johnny G is man enough to Serve in HM Forces then YES he does have a Right to UK citizenship, but please beware of just what the long term consequenses will be.
    john

15. Done. Just waiting for the email so I can confirm it.