Gurkha Fam Visit

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by JWH, Dec 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JWH

JWH Swinger

Post no longer available

2. is this the full on all singing all dancing visit, or the interview?

3. JWH

JWH Swinger

Post no longer available

4. The FAM vist:

Week long, lots of phys, lots of time with the soldiers. Great food.

Sat in on lessons/activities with the soldiers, as well as general talks from some of the seniors and pundit (Gurkha Padre) about Gurkha history/traditions. BIG empthasis (and rightly so) about spending time with the soldiers. As it was put to us - "you join to lead Gurkhas, so you need to know that you want to spend time with Gurkhas".

Brilliant week. Can't say exactly what future/past visits were like, as they were preoccupied with something else when I was there.

smash

5. JWH

JWH Swinger

Post no longer available

6. I would imagine it will be quite high. Many years ago I watched a company of Gurkha's doing a speed march in full kit. The officers and SNCOs were running back and forth like sheepdogs encouraging the younger lads, even dragging them along to make sure they kept up.

I get the impression that the officers were expected to set very high standards. Those I met were without exception real "officers and gentlemen", however they were all very good at their jobs and a pleasure to work with (as were the Gurhka's themselves).

Top blokes!

Rodney2q

7. what he said - ours involved PFTs/weighted marches etc, but there was log races and runs planned (which got canned due to other reasons)

we had a variety of phys standards, as much as you need to be fit, a lot depends on how far along the pipeline you are. If you're 18 and on a gap year before uni, you've got a long time to work on it. If you're on the next RMAS intake then you should be smashing the phys. (If that all makes sense)

smash

8. JWH

JWH Swinger

Post no longer available