Gurkha curries

sandmanfez said:
Raider said:
We were surprised when we came to UK as we were not allowed to kill anything ourselves.
Has that always been the case Raider? I've been to Gurkha cookouts in the UK where the guys slaughtered the goats themselves.
No - the rules were introduced post BSE. Before that, farmers (and others - remember "Crown Immunity"?) were able to slaughter locally. It's all changed :(

ugly

LE
Farmers and smallholders can still slaughter locally provided it isnt sold commercially unless it goes through the normal MHS inspections, Deer Stalkers and Game Dealers wouldnt be able to work otherwise.

bigtez

Crow
I enjoy a good curry as much as the next man,but never having experienced a Gurkha curry I trawled the internet and found this company
www.gurkhacurrysauces.co.uk
Are they just using the Gurkha name as a gimmick ? or are these authentic Gurkha curries?
I have a set of fully authentic Gurkha Cury recipes which i sell for £5 a set on ebay all authentic and vey tasty i served with the Gurkha engineers in Belize (69 Gurkha Engineers) they taught me how to make great curry.

just get in touch if you want a copy.
Cheers
Terry Meekings

retired_taz

War Hero
Gurkha culture? Will we get to drink rum out of jerricans?
Now those were the days, Bimsen at 20 Rupees a Jerrycan (when there were 20 Nepalese rupees to the £)

However back to curries, Its strange, but I lived for two years in Nepal late 70's and the Dahl Baht which was the daily dish wasnt to my taste. The curries produced in our mess were from an indian cook and they were great. The curries in the Gurkha Mess were somewhat "bone filled" - my own cook was indian rather than Nepali as they were in the main much better cooks. That said, the curries produced by the Gurkha officers mess were outstanding. As your average nepali does not eat meat on a regular basis the nepali meals are not the same as Gurkha meals - there is a great difference between what is eaten in the hills of Nepal and what is eaten in the various Gurkha messes,

Same as drink - Gurkha drinks Bimsen, Kukri Rum etc, Nepali drinks Tumba and Raksi.

The "Standard Nepalese Tandoori" in Reading, near the Caversham bridge, used to be the dogs items, is it still going strong?

They never had bhang chutney though, damn those customs officers!

T

Tremaine

Bit wary of "Ghurka Restaurants" and companies. Often ringers, sometimes the only connection to them, if they're asked, is "we know some Ghurkas" . I'd be looking for bona fide (ex) Ghurkas, or close, in restaurants, or bona fide recipes. Nothing less. Failing that and having been a Chef for decades, I do my own.

Tom102

Swinger
My wife and I are going to our friends home today. Bravely, she is making a curry, which we hope will pass muster with ten Neapali friends including three retired Gurkhas. We often eat with our friends, but I find the sense of community, and warm welcome make the meal that much more pleasent. ps. I love alloedum (sic).

Spent a year with 6GR in Borneo and deployed on Op Granby with the Gurkhas so got a bit fed up of curry but they know what they're doing. They get issued a live goat (more of a treat then day to day grub on condition they appoint a 'goat boy' to look after it etc...jammy bastard got its own 4tonner when I saw it..) Then a prayer is said say and off with its head ( job of the youngest Gurkha in the reg) The meat is cut up so quick that the pile of little cubes that Billy becomes are still quivering as they sit on the plate!! Amazing. Curry is served with dried chillies that are dipped into little piles of salt tipped out directly on the table....(at camp in CK aswell.)

alib

LE
The "Standard Nepalese Tandoori" in Reading, near the Caversham bridge, used to be the dogs items, is it still going strong?

They never had bhang chutney though, damn those customs officers!
I used to be a regular there, excellent scoff and polite staff then you walk out into Reading.

Did the Jungle Warfare Instructors course in Brunei in the early 80s and we had the choice of ACC scoff off the hot plate or Gurkha bart. Bart got my vote and I never looked back.
Did once watch the meal preparation and slightly balked at the poor wild pig was impaled with a trip flare picket whilst tucked up in a sandbag, but by heck it tasted good!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
If you're ever in Brecon (and who in the infantry isn't?) Try the Gurkha Corner on the Watton. Great food, good value and a great night out.

It's probably gone long since but there used to be a curry pit across the road from King's Cross called the Laughing Gurkha which did a cracking fish curry.

I've got a paper copy of the Brigade of Gurkhas cookbook if anyone wants a particular recipe. Trouble is, all the recipes seem to be for a rifle section, which makes for either a very sore arse of full freezer...

ugly

LE
The museum shop in Winchester used to sell a recipe book. I scanned it years ago and put it up on this forum.

Latest Threads