Gurkha children lose test case

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by syledis, Jun 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Should I be relieved or outraged?

Only I can't open the link yet, I'll get back to you!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well a judge applies the rules, that makes a change!

• Like Like x 3
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Look the rules exclude over 18s as children, legally they are only dependant if medically or mentally and haven't settled so that's it I'm afraid! The same rules (ok slightly stricter) meant no emmigration for me as we can't take our 21 year old son with us! No shock so we chose to stay put and not whinge about it and look for legal aid!

4. You can go on the Arrse in Kathmandu? Cool.

5. Where were you heading for?
  6. Lancashire.
  7. wheh? what constituites settled these days?
    besides you're right the first time. law is upheld, just another outrage story for the media bus.
  8. Strange Folk the Gurkha.
    I only did 12 months with them back in 79-80 and way back then considered them far to Political.
    The only instance of Mutiny I witnesses was by four given an order by a Brit Staff Sgt, they then went away discussed it came back and their L/Cpl said No.
    Mind you he was a Dejarling (Spelling) Walla, an Indian, the unit clerk.
    I stept in and carried out the task with one of the other Brits present. Bad business could have had serious consequences, all round had the matter gone further. No order not given in Gurkali need be obeyed.
    Many Brits liked having some one stand to attention in front of them and call them Sahib, really annoyed me when the Gurkha RSM did it with me. But I knew he did not mean it, which is something, some learn when serving with them.
    My father always maintained that a Gurkha Patrol saved his life back in WW II, but what I will say is that Johnny G of today is not the man of that era.
    We have retired Brit Gurkha Officers where I live and for at least one there are still Officers and Other ranks.
    A WW II vet who lives local, commanded many different races of the India Army during his time and of the Gurkha he says their Brit Officers where always demanding some form of special treatment for their troops.
    Seems some things never change.

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

They are an anachronism, cost more than they are worth, and aren't, I'm afraid, any better than their non-Gurkha counterparts. We don't retain Sikh or Baluchi or Kenyan or Nigerian Regiments, so why them?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Because Argies dont shit themselves when they hear Nigerians are facing them.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. What, not even after they've told them that "Praise be to God you have won the Nigerian national lottery"?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Saint Lumley?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jon Willy,

You worked with them in 79-80 and then talk of "the Ghurkha" of today?

That's as close to WW2 as it is to today.

From my recent experience I rate them. They're consistent, loyal and they can recruit like ****. You don't get undermanned RGR Bns. Whilst UK Bns can struggle to man, the Gs have huge numbers of applicants per PID. Equally, because none leave competition for promotion is huge. This lends filters at every level which aren't there in many UK Bns.

This may not make them the best, but they're certainly not the worst. Top student on the most recent PSBC was a Ghurkha.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. ............................Whats a that like a Nepalese Parkha or a Barbhour?