Gurka naval nurse's?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by worm-on-a-stick, Nov 25, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently saw a collection of old cap badges and one in perticular caught my eye.

The badge consisted of the standard gurka crosssed knifes but was surmounted by what appears to be the naval logo for nursing.

Any one with any idea's?
  2. No idea mate, any chance of posting a picture?
  3. Sorry no pictire it was part of a private colection being displayed in a funeral directors window in the lead up to rememberance.

Been looking around on cap badge sights but no joy :(
  4. Why don't you ask the gurkha museum? They may have some idea

Good luck - and let us know
  5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I've seen the RMP Ghurka badge, crossed khukris, but have trawled my extensive 3 book library and cannot see a Nursing service badge.
  6. I believe it may be a medical proficiency badge. The description is taken from a militaria sales web-site.

No link for the simple reason that the picture is a natty little jpeg about 4mm x 4mm and has a green emblem on a green background. So about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. The description 'serpent and rod above crossed kukris' (above being used in the sense of surmounted) seems to fit, though?
  7. Found out it's the Queen Alexandra's Gurka's but i still don't know if they were some sort of navy unit??? Seem's odd that they might be at sea
  8. Why a navy unit?

From the description, the badge is (a) Gurkha and (b) to do with medical/nursing services. British Gurkha nurses serve in QARANC. I dont know the answer to this, but was there originally a separate service or even just a distinctive badge for Gurkha nurses?

3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles were transferred to India in 1947. Not the same thing as QARANC!
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Might be QA's attached to the hospital in Nepal years ago, be nice to see it.
  10. This will be the bugger you are looking for

3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Nice one BH!
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

28th (or Gharwal) Indian Infantry Brigade

2nd Bn, the Leicesters

1/3rd (City of London) Bn, the London Regiment (joined and left February 1915)

2/3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Ghurka Rifles (left before Mesopotamia)

1/39th Gharwal Rifles (left before Mesopotamia)

2/39th Gharwal Rifles (left before Mesopotamia)

51st Sikhs (joined in Mesopotamia)

53rd Sikhs (joined in Mesopotamia)

56th Punjabi Rifles (joined in Mesopotamia)

And there they are in all their glory. 2/3rd QA'sGR. Capbadge worth about £10.
  13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

A note of recognition from the Adjutant of the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles) in 1931, give a hint of the true feelings of both sides:

"As I write these words, my thoughts return to you who
    were my comrades the stubborn and indomitable
    peasants of Nepal. Once more I hear the laughter with
    which you greeted every hardship. Once more I see
    you in your bivouacs or about your camp fires, on
    forced marches or in the trenches, now shivering with
    wet and cold, now scorched by a pitiless and burning
    sun. Uncomplaining you endure hunger and thirst and
    wounds; and at the last your unwavering lines disappear
    into the smoke and wrath of battle. Bravest of the brave,
    most generous of the generous, never had a country
    more faithful friends than you".