• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Gurka honoured for single handed firefight

Seen a interview on the BBC earlier and it said when he run out of rounds he then went on to use the GPMG tripod to hold the talib shit bags. Ninja.

Just watched this on the box, the Maj.Gen. presenting the gong had an odd looking green diamond-shaped badge on the left arm of his SD. on closer inspection it looks distinctly French - inverted chevrons with the old flaming grenade symbol.
What's that all about, anyone know?

Kudos to Johnny G. by the way.

Four hundred rounds and he got three? At this very moment, Abu Bin Tropper is adding ''One dark night in the desert, I came face to face with death'' to his sig block on the Taliban Rumour Service.

Seems a little odd to have to resort to bits of tripod to hit people - didn't he have a kukri with him?
Although it's been many years since I toted a Tripod (no, not a euphemism) I'm pretty certain that there aren't any spare, rod-like, bits on it with which you can readily smite the wily Pathan, unless of course, the gutsy little bugger has torn a leg off it, in which case my admiration for the Gurkhas has clearly been insufficient to date?

Given that he 'only' got a CGC for a fairly stunning piece of work, one wonders what sort of threshold one has to achieve in order to get a VC nowadays?

I'm in sheer awe of what he did, which to my simple brain seems worthy of a VC!

Although it's been many years since I toted a Tripod (no, not a euphemism) I'm pretty certain that there aren't any spare, rod-like, bits on it with which you can readily smite the wily Pathan, ?
Beat me to it. The L7 tripod is sturdy, and the legs only come off if you have an allen key, and a spanner handy.

Given that he 'only' got a CGC for a fairly stunning piece of work, one wonders what sort of threshold one has to achieve in order to get a VC nowadays?

I'm in sheer awe of what he did, which to my simple brain seems worthy of a VC!
Ah, that's simple....damage to military property, to wit, tearing bits of a GPMG tripod off....just not done old boy..;-)

But a big well done to the man.

Four hundred rounds and he got three? At this very moment, Abu Bin Tropper is adding ''One dark night in the desert, I came face to face with death'' to his sig block on the Taliban Rumour Service.
When was the last time you came face to face with 30 talibs, and took out 3, took on one hand to hand, then walked away for tea and medals?

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Just watched this on the box, the Maj.Gen. presenting the gong had an odd looking green diamond-shaped badge on the left arm of his SD. on closer inspection it looks distinctly French - inverted chevrons with the old flaming grenade symbol.
What's that all about, anyone know?

Kudos to Johnny G. by the way.

I believe that's the "D-Day Flash" that the Dragoon Guards wear.

He fought alone as the remaining Gurkhas knew that 30 to 1 was good enough odds. I think that the Talibs were lucky he did not get cross draw his kukri!

And at this very minute Sergeant Pun is on remedial marksmanship principles and reading 'How to tie a sandbag, volume 1'. Bless his little brown moonface.

Latest Threads