Gunship ammo

I was just shown one of the gunship night attack videos on YouTube,

Fighter Copters gone wild, (IRAQ) - YouTube

Now they are obviously firing some sort of cannon, but what I do not get is the way the rounds strike the target, then start exploding a second or two later. (It nearly seems as if someone is shooting back, weird.)

Can anyone explain that please.

Cheers
Gadge

They are firing High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP) rounds. They detonate on impact dishing out blast and frag.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Those lamp posts are nails!

They are firing High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP) rounds. They detonate on impact dishing out blast and frag.

They seem to have a delay as you see the rounds go in and impact, but the detonations go on for a few seconds afterwards.
There is no delay in the flash to bang at the observation/camera point as they are pretty close.
When an A10 fires, the impact and flash are at the same time.
It's the delay I do not understand.

Cheers
Gadge

They seem to have a delay as you see the rounds go in and impact, but the detonations go on for a few seconds afterwards.
There is no delay in the flash to bang at the observation/camera point as they are pretty close.

Cheers
Gadge

Two different weapons firing on the same target rather than a munition type, I think. The long ripping sound is minigun and the following staccato one is 30mm HE.

I think what you are seeing is the tracer breaking up on impact..

The A/C is firing a set sequence of Minigun-cannon-Crv7 rocket. The big flash after the CRV7 impact is, I think, the rocket motor breaking up..

Remeberyou are watching this through image intensification, so you may be seeing a lot of hot stuff thrown out that you would not normally see..

I didn't actually watch the video. I assumed it was an AH. The AH fires HEDP, not sure about the DAPs though. The 160th are pretty swept up bunch. They dont **** about.

Cheers
Gadge
Can' seem to get the video to work, but it could well be that the reason the rounds seem to disappear for a moment before exploding is because of tracer burn out - the shells/rounds that are visible will be tracer. I'll admit that I'm no expert on cannon though, so I could well be wrong!

Can' seem to get the video to work, but it could well be that the reason the rounds seem to disappear for a moment before exploding is because of tracer burn out - the shells/rounds that are visible will be tracer. I'll admit that I'm no expert on cannon though, so I could well be wrong!
It seems as if you have something like a GPMG firing from the helicopter, ie 600 rpm, but the subsequent explosions seem to be at the firing rate of an M2 50 cal. (400 rpm ish).

I maybe confusing this, but that is what it sounds like.

Cheers
Gadge