Reference Image Guns and Tows - for all WW2 artillery and their towing vehicles

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 349676
Bedford MWB with 2 pdr ATk
That's actually a Bofors 37mm. The key clue is the distinctively sloped shield as opposed to the very vertical shield of the 2pdr. The 37mm Bofors was used in limited numbers in the Western Desert, having been part of the Sudanese Army equipment but made available to the British Army when Italy threatened.

Yes indeed. Without counting all the different types of Quad, there were at least five 17pdr tractors in use, not counting the fact that British tanks frequently had 17pdr tow-hooks welded on in order to act as emergency tractors:
Quad
Crusader Tractor
Ram Tractor
M14 Halftrack
C15TA armoured truck

And yes, I believe that's absolutely right re postwar tractors. I've not researched it, but a good friend of mine was in the REME LAD attached to the Irish Guards in Aden. He explained that their Support Coy had a mixture of Oxfords and 'Stuart Kangaroos' as they were by then called. I think he said that the 17pdr Pl used the Oxfords, while the MG and Mor Pls used the Stuarts.
The NLF had tanks ?

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's actually a Bofors 37mm. The key clue is the distinctively sloped shield as opposed to the very vertical shield of the 2pdr. The 37mm Bofors was used in limited numbers in the Western Desert, having been part of the Sudanese Army equipment but made available to the British Army when Italy threatened.
Well spotted that man. Being an ex-scaley I am not used to things that make loud noises.

daz

LE
Get your bonds here

3f5.jpg

25pdr MkI on an 18pdr MkIVP carriage, as used in France in 1940.

Bofors 25mm ATk gun on a Morris CS8 portee.

Show how long a Crusader and 17pdr combination was, especially with a limber in the middle.

The most common 17pdr tractor was the Morris C8/P or MG, here a stripped down one with an airborne battery at Arnhem.

US 2.4 ton 6x6 lorries being used as tractors.

And a 17pdr Pheasant being towed by a Quad without a limber. In the background another being towed by a 3 tonner.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer

Bofors 25mm ATk gun on a Morris CS8 portee.
37mm. You were evidently thinking Hotchkiss 25mm and Bofors 37mm at the same time and your brain crossed signals as it reached your fingers.

Good excuse to mention that the AT portee system came about because the British in France found that their French 25mm Hotchkiss ATGs were too delicate to be dragged about at speed over rough ground. Instead, the guns were simply hauled onto the back of the truck. The plan was to dismount them to be fired, but someone obviously wondered if firing from the truck would work and, lo! The British portee concept was born.

37mm. You were evidently thinking Hotchkiss 25mm and Bofors 37mm at the same time and your brain crossed signals as it reached your fingers.
You wait 'til you get to my age...….

Show how long a Crusader and 17pdr combination was, especially with a limber in the middle.

The most common 17pdr tractor was the Morris C8/P or MG, here a stripped down one with an airborne battery at Arnhem.

US 2.4 ton 6x6 lorries being used as tractors.

And a 17pdr Pheasant being towed by a Quad without a limber. In the background another being towed by a 3 tonner.
Add 2.5 tonners to the list! :)

One I forgot - the Airborne AT Batteries RA replaced their Morris airborne tractors with Dodge 15cwts (WC51 is it?) in October 1944.

One I forgot - the Airborne AT Batteries RA replaced their Morris airborne tractors with Dodge 15cwts (WC51 is it?) in October 1944.
That would have been a good move as the Morrises were reckoned to be underpowered.

The ultimate plan was to use the Austin K7, which was designed for the role. It looked like a Dodge that had found the pie stash....

That would have been a good move as the Morrises were reckoned to be underpowered.

The ultimate plan was to use the Austin K7, which was designed for the role. It looked like a Dodge that had found the pie stash....

Always loved the look of those... Were the big tyres specifically for sand, or were those just the standard tyres?

Big up for the M5A1 high speed tractor!

Not a halftrack as stated on the vid!

Always loved the look of those... Were the big tyres specifically for sand, or were those just the standard tyres?
I dunno. What little photo evidence I've seen all has the same tyres but so few it could all be of the same vehicle.

But this is :) M2A1 with 57mm M1 ATG, note the additional shield armour in in the back of the 'track. With lots of other stuff by the look of it!

Last edited:
Or a 7.2in howitzer. If the photo was taken in France in 1940 or if in the UK before 1942 it's an 8in. Anywhere else or after that and it's a 7.2in. They're almost impossible to tell apart at a distance, the only clue would be the oil reservoir bolted to the right side of recuperator of the 8in, but the wheel gets in the way in the photo.

Latest Threads