Gunrunning - Business opportunity

Yarra wynd up merchant, may your sporran curl at the edges.;)

That said; a damn good opportunity for someone. I knew a chap (his Mrs worked with mine) who contacted a well known branded fitness gear maker in the US, they had no UK representation and he got the UK distribution rights more or less by return email and within a couple or three years went from a 3 bed semi lifestyle to a 5 bed detached with matching his and hers range rovers.
It's always about finding the right opportunity (and the resources to invest). And sometimes, they are so obvious. A few years ago I was in Italy visiting some Italian mates of mine, I was surprised to hear that they had no KFC at all in Italy. Yes, I know it's Italy and the food is awesome etc., but still every country needs some junk food. I mentioned this to my Italian friends, saying that if someone is willing to invest money and get the franchise rights for it, they would make a killing. I was poo pahed out of the room. Fast forward to 2015/16 and the behold KFC opens for the first time in Italy and is now booming. Every time I think about it, I wished I had some cash to invest for the rights. And you do need a bit more than just spare change lying around in the back of your couch. Yes, I could've gone to the banks with a biz plan, but I am not a EU person, banks would still need some substantial amount from your before they lend you the rest.

It's always about finding the right opportunity (and the resources to invest). And sometimes, they are so obvious. A few years ago I was in Italy visiting some Italian mates of mine, I was surprised to hear that they had no KFC at all in Italy. Yes, I know it's Italy and the food is awesome etc., but still every country needs some junk food. I mentioned this to my Italian friends, saying that if someone is willing to invest money and get the franchise rights for it, they would make a killing. I was poo pahed out of the room. Fast forward to 2015/16 and the behold KFC opens for the first time in Italy and is now booming. Every time I think about it, I wished I had some cash to invest for the rights. And you do need a bit more than just spare change lying around in the back of your couch. Yes, I could've gone to the banks with a biz plan, but I am not a EU person, banks would still need some substantial amount from your before they lend you the rest.

Teenage Millionaire, Dominic McVey - £15million by age 15

The story seem's to have changed a tad - possibly to make him sound more entrepreneurial. However, originally the story went that he clicked on the box that he wanted to be a distributor, put in his name and address and it went from there with the initial delivery of scooters.

There are lots of US companies with no representation in euro-land and vice versa.

Pssst......Jersey MIkes, Firehouse Sub's, Jimmy Johns, Quizno's, ........do they have 5 Guys in Italy?

Firehouse is my fave.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. For making me depressed. I am 35.

But in all seriousness, the internet has been a wonderful "leveller." It doesn't care who you are or what you do, if you that great idea, are willing to put in some effort, you can make a nice living off it. Even if it's not millions or billions but there is some serious amount of cash to be made. That said, you need to passionate about what you want to do, most people who made serious dosh did so by loving what they do. The cash was just a by product.

ugly

LE
That said; a damn good opportunity for someone. I knew a chap (his Mrs worked with mine) who contacted a well known branded fitness gear maker in the US, they had no UK representation and he got the UK distribution rights more or less by return email and within a couple or three years went from a 3 bed semi lifestyle to a 5 bed detached with matching his and hers range rovers.
I'd need a body double, I'm hardly the poster boy for fizz, Lard maybe!

I'd need a body double, I'm hardly the poster boy for fizz, Lard maybe!
You and d'anjou need to get in contact with some of them eastern euro manufacturers who are knocking out gear for their home markets. There wuz loads of them at IWA all looking for retail distribution channels. It's where I met the body armour company - euro made and at the same price point as made in china.

ugly

LE
Its having the money to import the amounts needed to make enough money to pay storage on the gear that you cant sell. Romania is chock full of sov bloc SAA, buy it by the container load if you can ship and store it. Frankly I would charter a boat if I had the dosh!

Judging from the title gun running, and the allusion to fitness, is the product essentially those rubber rifles like outreach teams/gyms have for tabbing without signing out weapons?

chimera

LE
The first and most important rule of gun-running is: Never get shot with your own merchandise.​
—Yuri Orlov

The second rule of gun-running is always ensure you have a foolproof way of getting paid, preferably in advance, preferably to an offshore account.

The second rule of gun-running is always ensure you have a foolproof way of getting paid, preferably in advance, preferably to an offshore account.
Accounts of any kind are very carefully monitored nowadays...........eggspeshully offshore. Then you have the problem of washing it to put it into your wallet.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I know some of you had visions of a Lord of War style venture, but alas... :mrgreen:
been there, done that - it's not all it's cracked up to be TBH :)