Gunnery Training Team

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Lightsabre, Sep 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got back from Op HERRICK and wanted to thank the hoods at GTT for all the support and Joint Fires training etc they threw our way. Much appreciated by all my blokes certainly - just a shame there aren't enough resources or instructors to go round!

Who'd have thought it - useful people at Harry Larkers!

Beers are on us @ Wilsons - where else?? :D

2. Have to agree with the some of the sentiment from G_G. From the OP perspective, GTT (and the School) were still stuck in the old Cold War era. Lets face it, many of the old-style IGs were put out to pasture at GTT to either die or get promoted and hop on the merry-go-round of Larkhill jobs without keeping themselves up to date.

However, a number of more operationally experienced IGs have been doing a cracking job and are preaching the new "gospel" of true all-arms fire support. Being post ICSC (and top grade according to them at least!) with recent operational experience, these are the sort of people we need at the School. I await to see some of the stories from 19 Regt in the Gunner, just to prove how well-advanced their all-arms integration has been.

What does need to be sorted is the pathetic lack of equipement to train on - it is a little too late to be getting the full suite of kit in theatre when under daily contact!

3. When was the last time you were there?? and doing what?

It's views such as your's that are old fashioned, and misinformed. Open your eyes, take a look around the Arty centre, and see how much recent experience is there. The RSA is leading the way on a number of tri-service operational packages, and this can only be done with credibility if the instructors know what they are talking about. Also the next time you're in theatre, do a head count of school personnel assisting out there, I think you'll find the ratio is pretty good.

4. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

GG i have to disagree with you totally. The Artillery Centre is totally committed to deploying the Regiments upon operations and spend a lot of time changing procedures to keep in line with what is required in the various theatres.

Nice to see that the efforts that all the departments at the Artillery Centre are making to remain flexible and the centre of excellence are apprieciated.

5. Well said that man.

6. msr

msr LE

Too good, I would suggest, given the lack of TA FOO courses ;)

msr

7. Is there going to be a shortage of IGs now that there is no GIC?

I have heard the various rumours of "mini-GIC" being started on FOOs course and modules added when needed, but when does this take effect?

Sounds a bit like another case of changing formats of courses and career paths before allowing catch up behind (Length of Time Served vs Age Based anyone? - Regtl Duty, then Non-RD, then RD as a FOO, but there isn't time??).

Could there now follow a period where not enough are qualified to instruct so they have to drag people in from other jobs, or am I not up to speed on procedures (possibly the case...)

8. GunnersQuadrant

FOO.... whats a FOO these days. :) FST Comd

9. I'm not an expert in this by any stretch, but I have been closely involved with the whole training shebang for the last 2 Op HERRICK Bdes and I can offer this. I have also just returned from Afghan so am reasonably current. He says. ;)

It seemed to me - at times - that the whole Joint Fires effort was being pushed along by effectively one bloke (who I won't name but anyone in the know in this game knows who I am writing about) from Larkhill. He was on every single training event there was going, and I kept bumping into him at random meetings all over the country. I understand that there are hundreds of people in Larkhill so why so little effort thrown at what must be seriously hardcore business for the Boom Boom Boom crowd?

I also understand that no (i.e. zero) additional training is given to the 3-odd people (and I may be wrong) involved with HERRICK training and specifically PDT. Please someone tell me this isn't the case? If it's true, it's an absolutely travesty from an organisation that is the first to jump up and down about training standards. Well, it certainly seems that way from the varous utterances from HQ DRA.

And Gunner_Quadrant is quite right in my humble view - this isn't a problem that can be laid at an individual's door - this smacks of corporate failure and G_G's post is insulting to all those folks I know work jolly hard in Larkhill.

Right, I'm going back to Pprune where I belong!

PS Sorry I was going to quote a post (above) but the technology baffles me.

10. msr

msr LE

When we get issued more than Light Gun for the weekend, I'll change the terminology ;)

msr

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Is arty used on herrick or is it all aerial?

12. What would you like...most of the other equipment reqs work done dailey not just on the w/ends....what would an AS90 do all week sat in some hanger .......!!!!!!!!!
    terminology is the same the same in the Gnrs ....foo is a foo.. op is an op ...cp is a cp gnr is a gnr ..........

13. I was under the impression that GTT supported all Close support PDT. And when I say GTT, what I really mean is GTT backed up by a number of personnel from the RSA. What additional training, in your opinion, should they undertake before supporting PDT??

14. GunnersQuadrant

FOO is not a FOO anymore peeps.

15. Eh? Still a FOO...FST Comd is different role for a FOO