Gunners quadrant in FV101 CVRT

Discussion in 'RAC' started by RichardInDorset, Sep 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone explain how the quadrant in a Scorpion is used when laying the gun?

I can see that is has a bubble level which tilts when the dial is rotated and the dial has two scales which can be independently moved and then locked together.

I understand that the quadrant is used to set the correct elevation angle to achieve the desired range for indirect fire, but I'd be interested in knowing the actual procedure.

Cheers.

Richard.

2. You've started it now - it will be story after story of how "I once had 3 rounds in the air before the first had landed" Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I just read "Assault Crossing" again, how 43 Wessex Div bounced the Seine with an opposed bridge building operation at Vernon. According to the blurb (which I missed when I read this when it first came out), this has become the definitive opposed bridge crossing alongside Hans Von Luck's defence in depth of Bourgebus Ridge, John Howard's coup de main assault on Pegasus Bridge and Dick Winters' improvised quick assault on a 105mm howitzer battery at Brécourt Manor.

Anyhow, that's not important to this. The first tank across was a Sherman of 4/7DG (who crossed alternatively by troop with C Sqn 15/19H Cromwells - 15/19H were attached from 11 Armd Div as Recce Regt). The commander described to the author how, while defending the northern flank of the bridgehead and dropping shed loads of HE on a counter-attack along the eastern shore, that with a good loader throwing up rounds in a cycle that involved his hand slamming home the round and lifting clear before the breech shut and a gunner simply maintaining the aim and holding the trigger, the breech closed, the round fired, the breech opened and they could get four or five rounds in the air. Also commented that all the three-ohs needed replacing cos they'd burnt and bored out the barrels by the time they'd shifted all their ammo.

4. I'm guessing, first use the bubble to set the scale with zero degrees horizontal?

5. It is used when the target is at a range greater than the maximum range markings in the gunners sight. The commander will give the angle of sight and the range, the gunners puts the AOS and range on the QFC (Quadrant Fire Control) and then using his elevation handwheel levels the bubble. he then fires, commander orders a range correction, gunner puts new range on QFC, levels bubble using handwheel and fires.

6. I remember when Brig Lambe was CBF Belize about 1989, F Bty and KRH (?) put on a demonstration fire plan up at Baldy Beacon, must have been about 1989. F Bty with Lt gun, Bratties Boys in Scorpion and para handy controlling the harriers. Only time I ever saw armour trying out their indirect fire drills.

7. Used it when obscuration is expected.ie Direct lay on target,level bubble,zero traverse indicator,fire first round.Commander can then adjust range or line,gunner adds or subtracts range on range scale,levels bubble fires again.Something like that.

8. Did much the same with our Saladin's out in Cyprus in 87, albeit we didn't have any Arty or CAS!

9. Clock and bubble shooting yum yum! Check crest clear!

10. So how do the two scales get aligned?

11. I haven't thought about this since the 1980's so here goes.

You have 2 scales, fixed and adjustable. You have a marker line on a piece of perspex above the scales. The AOS is on the fixed scale, you rotate the knurled adjuster knob until the AOS ordered is under the line. You then unlock the range scale and adjust it (by physically rotating it by hand not by using the knurled adjuster) until zero is under the marker line, you then tighten and lock the range scale. (the two scales are now aligned) Rotate the knurled knob until the desired range is under the perspex marker line. (both scales will move as one but you now ignore the fixed AOS scale) You then level the bubble using the gunners elevation handwheel, then fire.

You only set the AOS once, at the start, all other corrections are done on the range scale using the knurled adjuster knob. "add 400", using the knurled adjuster you add 400 meters, ie put the new range under the line, level the bubble using the gunners elevation handwheel, and fire.

By setting the angle of sight and then setting the range scale to zero at the same point, you are compensating for the difference in elevation between you and the target. This means that whatever range you put on the QFC, the AOS is taken into consideration

12. We used this practice on 'Clino Shoot',back in the day.EG 'Sabot,clino,800' etc.Yawn.

13. Thanks for that. Once I track down an elevation handle, I'll have a play...

14. Any Pictures?

Cheers
    Gadge

15. Will post some of the interior if you'd like to see it.

Attached Files: