gunners history.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by sirbhp, Mar 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

I am banging on about BSM Charlie Coward again .

Does any know which POW camps he was in ? What documents would supply such a list ?

Do you gunners get to hear of him whilst you are serving .
    I have a stack of information on him and his exploits but I really need to see the original documentation.

Cheers troops
    RE gards
    Sir bhp
  2. Call the RA Museum at Firepower - google for the telephone number - they will be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

"When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table"
  3. Wiki: /He managed to make two escape attempts before even reaching a prisoner-of-war camp, and then made seven further escapes, on one memorable occasion managing to be awarded the Iron Cross while posing as a wounded soldier in a German army field hospital. When in captivity he was equally troublesome, organising numerous acts of sabotage while out on work details/. And there's a hell of a lot more to him than even that lot....

Some information at Charles Coward - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , and documents from his evidence to a Nuernburg Military Tribunal. Camps he was in seem to have included Monowitz and Lambinowice. After the war BSM Coward (Wiki says QBSM?) testified at the IG Farben Trial in Nuremberg, describing the conditions inside the Monowitz -Auschwitz III labour camp, and about the treatment of Allied POWs and Jewish prisoners.
    Great story.
  4. You see the heroic exploits of the likes of Charlie Coward go unrewarded and then see non-entities like Mandelson, the Kinnocks and their ilk get peerages and you wonder where our priorities lie...
  5. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

cheers troops , that's my Article on wiki . Someone ripped it off but I don't mind . Fire power have nothing on Coward 'cept a disk of stuff I gave them a few years ago . My article was a magazine piece but I am now looking to produce a more factual and scholarly history of him.

Just to add to the story it was a Mrs Ann Ross who pushed to get him recognised in 1963..... she happened to be in charge of Hut 11 or 12I at Bletchley and was quite a heroin her own right . I have an extract from a document called "Jews who served at Bletchley"
  6. I'd be a bit surprised if there was any Gunner originated history about him. PoWs don't really belong to a RA unit, unless there were a lot of men with him from his original unit it might not have got back into Gunner channels. However, you probably need his NoK to get hold of his army record.

Obviously he came to the attention of the authorities after the war and that suggests he was formally debriefed. Since this would be after(?) the war ended I'm not sure who would have been responsible. Maybe MI9, but perhaps the war crimes invetigators. Either way there should be records in NA, but might still be time-barred due to it involving a personnel account.