Gunner Tim Utteridge KIA Turf Lodge 19/10/84

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by exXIX, Oct 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Coincidently I was killing time on Youtube today and I came across a TV news clip covering the shooting of Gunner Utteridge, 27 years ago tomorrow. He was 1 RHA attached to the RGJ.
    My Bn was at NITAT soon after this incident occurred and as the next unit into Turf Lodge, my company was heavily briefed on the details. Poor chap was 19, the same age as I was. I recall another member of his brick was badly wounded in the shooting which occurred as they were crossing the open ground near the shops at the bottom of the Turf. I hope he made a recovery.
    I was wondering if anyone was ever convicted of the murder?
    RIP Tim Utteridge. You are not forgotten.

• Like Like x 8
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Turf Lodge was my patch in 1977 and was as nasty a spot as I ever found. The shops at the bottom end of the Turf, which faced Fort Monagh, were a favourite spot for the players to fire from. You could hear the firing at night on the estate to zero the weapons (we would find cars on nearby waste ground with targets painted on them and full of fresh bullet holes). Unfortunately some of the opposition understood the marksmanship principles and could actually shoot straight. They had quite a collection of weapons in the area IIRC.

I always remember seeing the grave of fusiler Paul Crocker in Milltown cemetary, another victim of the Turf.

Rodney2q

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. I remember that miserable day very well and still remember the young Gunner's death at various times during the year as well as the many others who were KIA and WIA during the 70's and 80's when I served in NI.

Gunner Timothy Utteridge was killed by a GSW to the head. A Catholic priest attended his body and he was covered with a quilt. Those were the days of the beret and I've wondered if the new hemets could have saved him?

I believe the other soldier hit that day was Rifleman Mannion of 3 RGJ. He was struck in the arm and chest as I recall and his INIBA thankfully saved him from the chest wound.

The firing point was the upstairs window of a house at the rear of those bricked up shops and they were fired upon as they crossed the intersection.

As you say exXIX, RIP... None of them are forgotten... From any conflict... Then or now...

• Like Like x 4
  4. I was in Lisburn at the time and remember it well. Two years later I was operating out of Fort Whiterock and got to know Turf Lodge very well indeed -we always called it 'Gunner Utteridge roundabout'. RiP.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rest in Peace Gunner Utteridge. Never forgotten.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I recall an RHF Cpl getting a similar piece of luck in the Beechmounts in May/June of the same year. He had the presence of mind to apply a FFD with one hand & light a fag with the other as he waited for the ambulance to arrive...

RIP to the Gunner to which this thread relates.

• Like Like x 3
  7. UBIQUE Gnr Utteridge RIP...As inadequate as the INIBA Jkt was, it was better than the old FLAK Jackets, and it appears to have done it's job on a few occasions thankfully! One of the boys from Eagles was hit in the back near Girdwood, having finished a patrol on the long streets. My memory is probably playing tricks, but I think the round may have deflected off the ECM equipment he was carrying and into the rear INIBA plate...Very lucky Eagle indeed! There is a funny end to the tale, but it isn't apposite for this thread.

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  8. Blimey that takes me back, Utteridge had joined the Battalion for the tour, I was CO's rover group at the time, Rfn Mannion was the other one shot (Femur) I think. I believe he returned to full duties.
    As to the other question did any one pay? it was believed that a garand was the weapon used, toward the end of the tour after another attempted shooting a terrorist (now freedom fighter) was shot and died later and his body and weapon were recovered, who know's!

• Like Like x 4
  9. Hi all, just joined - I was his sisters (Tracey) best friend :)..Tim was great, jovial and his dad (Captain Utteridge),was so proud that his son had followed him into the army. What I do know, (while our parents were stationed in Menden, Germany), was that all aspects of our lives were totally destoyed by this. A soldier, not only losing a soldier, but his son too. We were gutted...Just had to share that...but from a ''pads brats point of view, we did think and it did make us stonger :)) XX

• Like Like x 1
  10. My dad did two tours in Ireland, I tell you what, shit is all I can say :/ ...and I wil always back a squaddie rather than a civvie- theyve always looked after me so much more :))...thanks lads xx

11. My old man was a good mucker of Tim's during Junior Leaders. He told me a few years ago of how much of a sobering thought it was for a young niave nineteen year old to learn of a mate's death. One of the few times I've seen him shed a tear.

12. Had finished the last of my 28 months on Banner by 84 and was in FI when the unfortunated Gnr got his, I do vividily remember Fort Monagh though, as I did my post NITAT spell on the ground out of there with the Kingo's, just after I got there in the back of a pig, the padre turned up in a black mini and got promptly shot up from across the way! (missed padre, hit mini)

this would have been about 78 ish.

Not being a grunt I remember how barren that waste ground oustide the gate looked when it was your turn to run like feck across it to the apparent safety of the cover. Seemed like miles but i'm sure wasn't.

Did several day and night patrols with them and was (at the time) amused by the noisy dog stabbing antics in the dark, so thats why they all carried big knives.

• Like Like x 3
  13. I met Tim back in 1982 when I was a Junior Leader, my mate Pete Nash was in Wardrop Troop 40 Bty and he introduced us and he came across even then as a very professsional young soldier with lots of potential. I was out in Germany when I heard of his death and yes as a young man myself it really brought home the seriousness of being a British soldier - Many years have past but not forgotten, rest in peace young man.

14. I was 6 feet from tim utteridge on that day. it was beside a pensioners bunglow on Norfolk rd. tim was at the front of the patrol but I cant remember anyone else being injured. tho I was a civilian an the area was closed down pretty quick R.I.P fella your always on my mind

• Like Like x 1
  15. I am trying to find the man who was badly injured during the shooting Gunner Utteridge was my uncle and I no one tell me anything please can you help?