Gunner Support to SF Support Bn

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by bomblet, Dec 17, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any thoughts on who is going to pick up this role? Should it stay with 7 Para RHA or should a new Bty/TAC Gp be formed? 8)

2. Call it the Raiding Support Regiment? :)

3. 307

307 War Hero

You mean light gun support or just contribution of troops, if troops isn't 4/73 bty already in that role?

4. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

4/73 already have this mantle. no matter what 7 RHA say.

5. GunnersQuadrant

I am not saying that 7 RHA will not be doing it, however that role of previous years was taken by 4/73 Bty. The parachute regiments overall require to do something as para drops have become an outdated concept.

6. Ohh Feck! here we go again :roll:

IMHO very soon its not going to be we do this and that job is ours, itll be ohh feck whos left.

SK

7. 307

307 War Hero

Parachuting isn't outdated at all, it jut hasn't been required recently, but look if we needed to land a large no. of troops para drops are the fastest way. It's fairly easy to bring down a helo even when SAM siutes & AAA has been neutralised, a lot harder to nail a C130 when these assests have been taken out. To lose airborne forces would be a huge mistake.

8. GunnersQuadrant

When was it last required as a method of entry for the airborne force? Falklands, no? Korea? It is a skill that needs to be kept but the role of 16 AA must be looking shakey in whitehall.

9. 307

307 War Hero

En masse was Suez Canal drops, on a smaller scale Sierra Leone hostage rescue. In the same breath then why do we need royal marines either, anyone can be taught amphibious landings, when was the last commando raid? Look at the money being pumped into them? The whole bloody future of the forces look shaky, these politiciians are a joke I hate them, they make my bloody blood boil. It's gonna take Pyongyang to kick off, a realisation it'll always be the man on foot who wins the war not a smart bomb or cruise missile. before the gov gets it's act together. MPs are oxygen thieves. Pumping money into sending kiddy fiddlers on holidays to Majorca to 'rehabilitate them' it's a load of sh*t someone really has got their head up their arrse. The country's going to hell in a handbasket. Do you think they could ever push the military for enough to force a coup? Rant over :evil:

10. the only way things will turn around is if we get our arrse kicked in a war and lose a lot of guys

the biggest downfall of the British Soldier is his ability to cope with less and less and still get the job done. It's the BAs own professionalism that will kill it in the end, ironic really

11. 307

307 War Hero

Equipment losses are one thing, but this is a loss of manpower, no mater how the politicians paint it up to look like it isn't it's a downsizing of the british army, in particular combat troops...look at the enemy's we're fighting, rebels who mix in with civvis, high tech doesn't win that fight, it's bodys on the ground that win hearts & minds and gvie the locals confidence. The thing is the gov. thinks that since all troops have basic fighting skills, loggies and scaleys etc. can perform the peace support style ops that look like we're gonna be dealing with a lot...they're wrong, it's bread & butter of infantry, leaving the job to other arms is gonna give bodybag makers roaring trade. The way the gov. is treating armed forces is disgusting regulars are gonna feel the strain as well, cause I tell you, reserve forces are gonna have a trim year in 2005.

12. Dream on! The way things are going we're probably the only ones with a future.

13. GunnersQuadrant

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Gentlemen. Dwell on this as food for thought, it costs £17.5m for the annual wages and such for an infantry Bn for a year.

1 x Eurofighter costs £50m

TCH and the rest of his clown shoes made an announcement that they had bought 89 of the things "THE DAY AFTER" the Army defence cuts were made public. A PR exercise maybe?

When i see the RAF patrolling the streets of NI, Basra then i will eat my CAB.

Thoughts gentlemen? :evil:

14. my thoughts is that you are spot on

how he can justify 89 eurofighters is beyond me

on one hand they are saying the chance of a conventional war is gone, so lets axe tanks, arty, and heavy mob inf

and then they go and buy 89 fighters at 50m a piece that were designed for the cold war??

anybody else confused

we should have scrapped the project years ago and bought a load of f18s off the yanks. they are what we need, decent enough fighters able to give cas