Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Gunner special observer

no reply from the editor yet, but that's cool I'm a patient man. :D

OP_ACK: Quick question mate, I noticed wellyhead said the online article was a "shortened version". Is the actual published version some what larger??

As for them being desperate for recruits, I bet they're not the only ones in this day and age.

kiwilad.

Ahh lucky someone asked i also had this job come up after my BARB test to. Looks very hard. But i put down for my job choices Royal Artillery Light Gun, RLC Pioneer, Royal Artillery Gunner Special Observer.

So What i may do is go Light gun and get some time under my belt first then maybe go for Royal Artillery Gunner Special Observer.

I have just been advised by a friend who is an EX-Gunner, to go for 7 PARA RHA, or 29 Commando, get a set of wings or the Commando dagger on my arm before i even try to attempt the course, he also said that the course is an ALL ARMS course so that anyone in any regiment could get into the Battey after proving yourself on the course, he did mention that i may stand a better chance of getting in coming from an artillery background working with OP's and also a PTI course would help aswell. Is this correct?

It's not too much bigger, pm me an e-mail and I will scan it for you in glorious colour.

Mind you, the print over the photo's is a bit hard to read in places, but I will try and enhance it for you.

cdt_Lcpl: all sounds like good advice. Getting any background in with a Regt, especially OPs will help you.

Going to 7 or 29 will just make you fitter (probably - although you could be as fit in any Regt) and therefore more able to do the Selection for 4/73. The selection is tough and has PSIs from Hereford, but the Bty role as I understand it is "stay behind OP" - miles behind enemy lines, observing enemy movement, calling in MLRS and air strikes etc. More precise info is available on the links above that you have been pointed towards and other threads (?).

My advice would definitely be Phase 1, Phase 2, Regiment (which one is up to you, but OPs would be sensible, therefore Gun Regt) for a couple of years and then ask for 4/73 selection.

In my experience from Regimental Duty and Training Jobs, alot of "special" jobs within gunners (Para, Cdo, 4/73, 148) look really good from the other (ie. civvi) side of Ph1, but once you are in the system it can be one step too far to attempt straight out of the box. It would be a shame to attempt it too early and become disillusioned. BUT THAT IS ONLY MY OPINION - if you want it enough, go for it. If they are now recruiting from Ph2 then give it a whirl.

i was going to do the selction for 4/73 a few years ago dont belive the hype mate, just make sure ur at a good level of fitness run 9.30 an can carry weight dont have to be mega fit just determined also as the battry is understrength they may if you fail the sta cadre still keep for the sigs company. Best advice is get in touch with them directly any questions they will help you out it aint the sas they want you to pass mate

good luck