Gunner special observer

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by cdt_l/cpl, May 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi, i have just completed my BARB test today and i was offered the job of Special Observer, would u please be able to tell me what this part of the artillery does and what the training is like? thanks. :?
  2. Do a serch on here for 4/73 (Spinks) Bty and all should be clear.
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You could do that OR you could search for:

4/73 (Sphinx) Special Observation Post Battery Royal Artillery

which might get you a bit further!!

It will be tough going but worth it.

Carlos.. go back to what you do best..

DRILL ;)
  4. Oi!!!

5. Sounds like a good job!

6. Tough course......

A mate from my troop just did that course, he said it started with 43 and ended up with 6 qualifying.

3 Tpy's and 3 OR's

But hey he's an Engineer
  7. How to Join the Battery

This may help lets you know a little about selection. Got to be a step up from assault pioneer but below still combat engineer. :wink:

[/quote] cdt_l/cpl Joined: Dec 09, 2006

Assault pioneer
    Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:22 pm

What is the role of an Assault Pioneer within the army? and how would you go about training to be one?
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I am lead to believe that the current in vogue phrase is "Owned" :D :D
  9. OK what can I say about this course.....

Absolutely feck all, had enough banging on about it, I will leave you with 3 things

1. Do a search as stated, use a combination of "4/73", "Sphinx", "Special Observer", "Special OP" and you should get loads of info

2. If you want a more glam picture then read this months Gunner mag if you can, there is an article on the STA Patrols course, shortened version online here

3. Don't want to put you off but 6 from 43 is a good pass rate, my first course was over 30 starters 0 passed (4 lasted the course, one was binned, 3 put on the next courses exercise 2 passed, 1 binned)
  10. The advice i got from AFCO was to get in the Army first and then look at doing Special OP after I've got experience. That's what Im following. :)
  11. good course tough lads but dont believe all the hype
  12. Doh!

That Gunner magazine article wellyhead posted the link to is no longer available. I had a read of it before but wanted to save it for reference. I checked my cache and can't find it. Don't suppose anyone happen to save it?

13. Kiwilad

I haven't got a scanned copy, but you could try e-mailing The Gunner for a copy, the deputy editor, Kate Knowles is very helpful her e-mail is

Failing that, let me know and I will scan a copy from the magazine for you.
  14. Cdt_lcpl:

As has been suggested on similar threads re: Cdo/Para/Special OP/SF, can be a good idea to get some time under your belt in "normal" forces.

In fact, I dont know if 5th Regt RA (4/73s parent unit) accept straight from trg.

The BARB results may just point you in that direction - my advice would be this: do Command Systems (signals) at Ph2, go to a Field Gun Regt (AS90 or Lt Gun), ask for OPs, do a year or 2, try for selection.

Failing that, I will check with someone I know who was there not too long ago for some info. Good luck!
  15. OP_ACK, you're a star mate. I'll give that email a try and see what happens. Cheers again.

django_strikes: I've emailed the staff at 4/73 Battery. You can go straight into the Battery after phase 2 but have to wait for an STA course date. A lot of ex/current members say it's a good idea to get some experience first, but the battery itself don't seem to discourage recruits straight from phase 2 trying. Up to the individual I guess.

Cheers Lads,