Gunner or Soldier?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by future_para92, Oct 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi recently i have been reviewing my choice of role within the army, deciding between the Parachute Regt (obviously) and 7 Para RHA.
    I understand the difference in training, and roles when in theatre, however can someone give me an insight into day to day btn life (when not on pre-ops training), is it very similar (aside from specific role training) or does it differ, what sort of things go on in the 2 roles?
    (Standing by for flack about my avatar, i keep meaning to change it but can never be arrsed)
  2. I can only speak with regards to my "research" into the roles when considering a career (eventually settling on a slightly different role to 7RHA)

However, (and I'm sure those with real world experience can correct me if I'm wrong) the role of a Tom and a Gunner in 7RHA are two very different things (bar p coy and the airborne side of things). You are there to provide fire support. Not (necessarily) to close with and kill the enemy.

I have as yet, no knowledge of battery/regiment etc life.

And yes, remove the avatar, you've not yet earned the right to wear it on your swede so why your avatar!
  3. It's the internet......I'm not really PrinceAlbert.
  4. .....Prick!
  5. I am, in fact, two Sumo wrestlers launching a child through the air. I thought avatars had to be of yourself... Of course, now I see... That explains a few things...
  6. I guess my tongue was to subtly in my cheek.

Apologies for provoking such vitriol!
  7. I know lets get back on topic

Asking the question, Para Regt or 7 RHA is the same as saying, 1 SCOTS or 19 Regt RA, PWRR or 47 Regt RA, Ignore beret and badge, its the job you should focus on

What do you want to do

Be an Infantry soldier or work on a Light Gun/FST/Command Post Signaller/Logistics Driver/etc

That of course is assuming you wish to be a para as there are other jobs available within the Royal Regiment that are not Air Assault

Oh and by the way, I am actually Jason from G Force
  8. Why not go on a couple of insight courses? The Paras do one, as do the RA.
  9. come to the inf and be a giant amongst men mon ami. it is well good and we will make a man of you.
  10. Edited that for you.
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Point of Order:

Gunners are Soldiers: It's a small point, but I feel, quite an important one.