Gunner OP assistant, what will I be doing when on base?

I passed selection and im off to pirbright for phase 1 training on 9th of june. I know what I will be doing when on exercise and operations but what will i be doing while im on base in the uk? I know there are a few on here that know this role very well and any info will be much appreciated.

Cheers Add.

not fogeting sweeping gun parks, picking up leaves,and pushing landrovers round to preserve fuel at least thats what us cold war warriors did in Germany during the 80's

Also it's a camp! The RAF and the Septics have bases :roll:

Spent most of my time in the OP stores having a brew and pretending to be cleaning kit... :wink:

stav23 said:
I passed selection and im off to pirbright for phase 1 training on 9th of june. I know what I will be doing when on exercise and operations but what will i be doing while im on base in the uk? I know there are a few on here that know this role very well and any info will be much appreciated.

Cheers Add.
When did you do selection?

Double_Duck said:
Spent most of my time in the OP stores having a brew and pretending to be cleaning kit... :wink:
or AFV recognition

stav23 said:
yeah cant wait, hopefully gunna get a holiday to napa before hand, what you joining as?
Aiya napa's top mate, been there years ago.

Im going in as a gunner, special observer. - Tough work ahead, but its all good.

Been in before and the basic training now, is brilliant compared to what it used to be.

Like with all units in all roles, your in camp responsibilites will be kit maintenance and camp security (the latter is dependendant on wheter you have MPGS)

A normal day will be

Parade
Stables (working in the garage)
NAAFI Break
Garages
Lunch
Garages
Knock off
Tea

add in PT in the morning and the odd sports afternoon and thats the bulk of it.

It may sound tedious but there is infact a lit of work to keep the kit on the road especially if you are in an Armoured unit.

If you join 7/29/40 or even Special OPs then there will be less maint and more phys.

Thats the average day, however mommentum picks up when approaching Exercise/Mill skills comp/Op Tour training. All of those come round at an alarming rate so, sometimes its quite nice to hide in the garages.

Out of interest how do you know that you will be

1 In a Field Regt for certain
2 In the TAC Gp

Not that it really matters sprog jobs are the same no matter what trade you are.

In all seriousness though I have never heard of anyone joining straight into the TAC group (what the ops are referred to within the Bty) straight from phase two you wont have anything to offer. Most Complete a level 1 ACS course (basic signals) at Larkhill then join the command post as a buckshee signaller after a years or so of that they choose/are chosen to do a level 2 Targeting course then move into Ops. Hope this is of some help don’t let it put you off TAC GP is the way ahead working on the guns is for Neanderthal that weren’t clever enough for the Pioneers.

wellyhead said:
Like with all units in all roles, your in camp responsibilites will be kit maintenance and camp security (the latter is dependendant on wheter you have MPGS)

A normal day will be

Parade
Stables (working in the garage)
NAAFI Break
Garages
Lunch
Garages
Knock off
Tea

add in PT in the morning and the odd sports afternoon and thats the bulk of it.

It may sound tedious but there is infact a lit of work to keep the kit on the road especially if you are in an Armoured unit.

If you join 7/29/40 or even Special OPs then there will be less maint and more phys.

Thats the average day, however mommentum picks up when approaching Exercise/Mill skills comp/Op Tour training. All of those come round at an alarming rate so, sometimes its quite nice to hide in the garages.

has wellyhead been posessed by...

Greengrass said:
Most Complete a level 1 ACS course (basic signals) at Larkhill .
Not anymore. All phase two recruits leave with the same generic training now; driving, comms & sdc

bomb_mac said:
Double_Duck said:
or AFV recognition
My bold - not a hope in hell :roll: