Gunner Crewman?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Dinnerz94, Jun 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So far in my application i have done everything bar selection, which is to be in late July. My 1st preference is Gunner Crewman - Royal Artillery with 57places at Harrogate AFC. Within that role im a little stumped about whether to go for AS90, HVM, MLRS or Rapier. Could anyone who knows about or is even involved in any of them help give me ideas on which i should go for?
    Thanks

2. I can't speak for the others, but having recently finished a posting at 39RA (MLRS) I can confirm it's a cracking unit. PM if you have any questions.

3. Just know the variety of roles within the RA as if your going to AFC Harrogate your not going to know what part of the RA your going till phase 2 which is a year away now. All RA applicants go in as Gunner then streamed once at Larkhill, below 46 on your BARB you can only go for Logistics, AS90 and Light Gun...above that dependant on places at phase 2 will determine where you go.

4. Yes but does he want to have his bottom felt by a load of randy Welshmen? :)

5. What are the places that ~could~ be available?
    i took on board what you said, but i'm merely curious as to where i could be in a year or 2 :)

6. Grab a RA brochure or chat to these lads in here, Ive only been attached to one RA unit which was a HVM unit............was great and enjoyed my 2 years fixing them (Im a REME VM)with a great bunch of lads in 12 Regt. However theres lots of jobs like MLRS, HVM, AS90, Gunner Observation, UAV, Light Gun, Kings Troop (requires addittional selection) Logistics but these can all be seen in the RA brochure or online on the job finder. Im just letting you know from a Recruitment side, so hopefully you will get some sensible answers from lads on here.

7. sorry to hijack your thread dude but can anyone tell me if i choose to go into GMLRS 39 regt would i have to stay in that regt for the rest of my career or would i be placed in things like the as90 and rapiers as well as the GMLRS?

Gruffman

8. I'm going in for the same thing at harrogate AFC and I'm also not sure what too chose in the RA.

9. i feel your pain they all look like really good jobs so damn hard

10. You'd have to request transfer if you want to re-trade, but once you get there and get your hands on the kit transfer will be the last thing on your mind.

11. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Go Guns I would say

12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Try to go to 12 RA. HVM and UAV.

13. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I wouldnt do that, one of the new BK's is a lunatic and sells out of date clacky bars

14. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

A man has to have a hobby.