Gunner bugler for funeral

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by napier, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

My wife's great uncle died this morning aged 95. He was a gunner captain in WW2, having been commissioned from the ranks at the outbreak of the war. I only met him a handful of times, but he was a real gentleman and full of life right to the end. He loved the Army and was rightly proud of his service (mentioned in despatches). I intend to show my respect by wearing uniform to his funeral and I think it would be fitting to have a bugler sound the last post at the funeral - and doubly fitting if it could be a gunner. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know I could ring the RSA, but I don't know if the system would be interested. If it comes to it, I'd happily pay someone's expenses plus a suitable remuneration.

I'm not yet sure where the funeral will be (he died in the Cotswolds) or even the date - but I want to explore the options.

Thank you.
  2. Sorry to hear about the old chap. Have you tried the local branch of the RAA?

I'm not sure if there are any Gunner bands in that area, but they would probably know.
  3. Napier

Check your PM's.

4. yopu could ask the Troop. PM me if you need an address or contact no.
  5. If you can't find a military bugler, try a local brass band. Most of them provide someone for local Remembrance Services.
  6. napier

Thanks all for your advice/PMs.
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Napier, if you have to go down this route, I would talk to the local RBL first, as they will have quite a bit of experience in funerals of this kind!
  8. hi there
    I used to be a bugler in the kings troop RHA before moving to another regiment, and was close friends with the trumpet major. If you contact thier guardroom and ask for his ext he will be more than happy to help, if his calender isnt full. I hope you have luck in this matter as our history and those that made us who we are today are extremely important.
  9. you will have a job there matey, TM is on his resettlement now i think.
  10. napier

I have managed to secure the services of a King's Troop trumpeter. Thanks for your guidance, I'm sure that it will make the service that bit more special. I understand the local RBL will also be turning up with their standard, and will appreciate the gesture more than most of the civvies.
  11. Glad to hear you got the trumpeter, have you tried the local RAA? They should be able to parade their standard as well, if not it's a pretty poor show on their part.
  12. napier

The funeral went well, with a very respectable turnout. L/Bdr H***** played superbly and occasioned a great deal of favourable comment from all there. Shame he couldn't make the do afterwards, as there were plenty of old and bold wanting to buy him a pint.
  13. Good effort Napier...condolences on your loss.
  14. Glad it went well. A bugler does make the occasion a bit special. When my father died, I phoned the Royal Marines and asked about a bugler for the funeral but was told none were available as the bands were away for some big ceremony. When I said my father had been Royal Marine bandsman for 25 years, they asked what rank? I asked why it mattered and was told we'll want to send a bugler of equivalent rank over for it. A Colour Sergeant duly turned up, having been flown back especially.
  15. Attention Journalists: This is the type of GOOD THING that should be worked into some article one day.