Gunfights erupt in Iraqi capital

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Aug 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

There is some seriously disturbing reading in the rest of this piece
  2. Withdraw and let them get on with it, I'm sick of that country. Let it rot. Sink it . Nuke it. Who gives a t@ss!
  3. Thank you Prime Minister.
  4. Hmmm.

Is this the sh!t finally hitting the fan big-time? 8O

Fingers crossed that our people in uniform are safe.
  5. And those of our friends who are not in uniform....
  6. They are all a bunch of ungrateful bastards , you give them a bottle of water they want a crate , then that night they will set up an IED or a mortor . **** em let them sort out there own shit , lets get our lads and girls back before we lose anymore 10000 iraqi lives are not worth 1 Britserviceman / women's . I have been warned off for my 3rd tour out there . *******
  7. i concur
  8. Ungrateful? Or just deciding to ride the gravy train while it's in town?

Oh and I see there is "confusion" over how oil revenue distribution will be decided. Confusion my arrse.
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Really? Is a certain MP (who has never bought or sold any oil at all, not never, ever), not happy with his cut? Or, since you mentioned the words 'gravy train', senior people at the UN (or their sons) now involved?
  10. al Sadr is a serious shit stirring arse. The Shia's had everything to gain out of the war and yet they are letting al Sadr and his cronies get away with murder.
  11. Al-Sadr is establishing his credentials as the man of the moment . He is reaching out to the Sunni's a little bit here, a little bit there. "I can see the deal now. "I don't want to be in overall charge , but I want my revenues from Pilgrims and my other dirty little pies untouched" Al-Sadr is working towards proving he is the only man with the real power to unite a fragmenting Iraq,

I think the Shi'a , especially those that don't want Iran in control overtly , will start supporting him.
  12. I think they'll find him lacking. He is seriously big timing off his fathers reputation.

Sadly, I think Iraq will fragment - as we all know its a totally artificial construct.
  13. The "artificial construct" argument is fatuous and highly misleading - there are about a hundred countries which, in their modern form, are just as "young" or "artificial" as Iraq, including just about every single other Middle East country. Every country in the world without exception (as far as I am aware) has some sort of ethnic division or split, which to some degree is exploited by nutters or insurgents. Of the Iraqis i've spoken to, I haven't actually yet come across a Shi'ite who wants to be part of Greater Iran, or a Sunni who wants to be part of Greater Syria. Even the Kurds seem realistic that they've got a good deal in their semi-autonomous status within Iraq.

I think that its too easy to be misled by media coverage of the nutters at work - the media don't get their breathless headlines by giving proportional coverage to the views of the general Iraqi populace. I work with an Iraqi company of about 45 middle class workers of all ethnic groups, who have mostly been together as work collegues since before Saddam's era. They remain friends and neighbours, they haven't split along ethnic lines, and their only extremist view is that like to see all of the politicians get VBIED'd together - a view that is probably shared in most "normal" countries and might be construed as a sign of healthy democracy...!
  14. Are we really surprised that this is going on.

They are mixing politics and religion together. That's a bad start - you have a politician who is nothing but a power grabbing oik and a religious leader who is a power grabbing oik. Neither of them are interested in the populace, combine the two and you get an Iraqi member of parliament who want as much as he can get and fcuk the rest…