Gunfighter help re bofors

Discussion in 'REME' started by spiffy, Jan 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone any idea what the following means :

N D

ATT FOR INO 61211/2

it is etched on what is I assume a gauge for the 40mm bofors gun. The guage is of steel and looks like a live round in shape, where the primer would screw in there is a large threaded hole.

Attached Files:

2. Headspace gauge ?

Attached Files:

3. Jumbo buttplug with thread for extraction
  4. Just an educated(?) guess:
    the N D (or O) D looks like a factory mark (Nottingham perhaps)

ATT For etc. could be a contract number for a batch of these gauges.

10/57 looks like the serial number.

I think it's an inspection round rather than a gauge as such. RARDEN has similar rounds, used to check correct functioning of the feed mech etc.

5. All guages have a unique serial number. Does the projectile bit of the round detach? If so it is a drill round for the loading simulator. (I think these had brass fittings though)

Remember the Navy used a lot of 40mm - an N and broad arrow looks like Navy to me. They used 40/60 as distinct to 40/70 used by the Army. The 40/70 was longer. Most Army 40/70s had a spare 40/60 barrel so they could fire 40/60 at training.

I would go with a 40/60 guage or inspection round of Naval origin..
  6. I would think it's a fair bet that the 10/57 is the manufacture date
  7. Thanks for the info but keep the ideas coming please. I need a definitive answer on this if possible.
    (god , I hate asking gun fighters for help :winkrazz: )
  8. Agree with craftyx, 10/57 could be month/year of manufacture. 40/70 refers to barrel length in relation to calibre i.e. 2800mm length (70x40mm).
    If the crowsfoot marking has a D at the top, it could be something like
    Devonport Naval Depot; the ordnance factories at Notts, Enfield and Birmingham were always prefixed with Royal as in RO(N), RO(E) etc.

Unfamiliar with the ATT For INO (Inspectorate of Naval Ordnance?) markings but the 61121/2 looks very much like the format for a Drawing Number with this one being the second of two.

I'll do some digging to see if I can glean some more info from some of my anorak gunfitter mates

The threaded hole in the base of the casing is more than likely to allow for the attachment of a removal tool or rod and or to allow fitting of the striker test piece in the form of a small cup filled with wax to measure f/pin strike.
  9. alb

alb Clanker

I believe this stands for Origin and Destination. This is now compulsary on all munitions due to farmers digging up ordnance from WW2 resulting in their tractors exploding in millions of pieces. It allows insurance companies to sue the manufacturer or owner depending on which has the least financial clout.

10. How does that work then? Surely if a shell has gone bang it is hard to collect all the little bits of it, stick them together and find out who made it?

Never ever heard of origin and destination. Sounds somewhat suspect
  11. The local Ordnance Factory , Radway Green, which makes small arms ammo used to stamp all their rounds RG and the year of manufacture. I thouhjt 40/70 was the ratio of metals used in gun metal.
  12. The 40/70 used to be referred to as 40L70 as in 40mm x 70 calibres [basically what harry said above]

I like the sound of the INO and Devonport bit too, makes sense and gets my vote.
  13. After a bit more research I can confirm the following:

10/57 is the month and year of manufacture
    40/70 is barrel length (70 X calibre = 2800mm)
    INO is Inspectorate of Naval Ordnance
    Crowsfoot + ND = Navy Department (oldies will remember Army kit being marked with Crowsfoot + WD for War Dept

The threaded hole in the base of the round is likely to be identical to the one found in a live round and is known as the primer pocket (approx 3/4" dia ?)

The round is a test or inspection round and would need to be manually fed into the chamber which was difficult to access due to the auto loader and hopper. Access to the breech was via a viewing aperture (used to check guns clear) A rod was screwed into the base and fed into the chamber through the aperture, unscrewed and the breech was then closed. A spent live shell case would normally be extracted and ejected using recoil energy but this would not occur when opening the breech manually. The rod would then be reattached to remove the inspection round.

ATT FOR INO 61121/2 This could well be a reference to the rod i.e this is an attachment to be fitted.

Not Known

The O/D above the ND

Hope this helps
  14. Thanks Gents.