Gunboat Impounded by Spain

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grim_Squeaker85, Apr 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not so much Wild Geese as Wild Ducks. A white paint job might not have gone amiss to help with the transit!

2. Sounds like the Spanish have him bang to rights. I do note that he claims his entire crew will be former RM but then further down he states only 2 of the crew including himself would be able to claim the coveted Veteran's Badge.

They should just let him sail off in the pirate-slaying MV Walt so we can all watch the comedy ****-ups and hilarious killings of innocent fishermen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's not Ravers is it I know he wanted a boat and was missing a type 42 thing

• Like Like x 3
  4. Still a few bobs worth of boat... navy pensions must be more than I thought, or theres a backer somewhere? Whats it got to do with the spaniards anyway? just in their waters? Or still no forgivness for El Drako?

5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Docking in Tenerife gives some credence to his West Africa story...unless he was planning to navigate the cape?

6. It became thier business when "
    The drama began on Tuesday when the Defender made an unplanned stopover in the resort of Los Cristianos after blowing a gasket"

When you enter terri
    torial waters you come under the owners jurisdiction

7. Ah, missed that bit.

8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Interesting - this ship's been sitting in Heybridge basin for a couple of years. I did wonder where she'd gone to. I'm not buying the "going to Senegal" line. If he was trying to flog it to their coastguard/navy it would be cheaper to fly the buyers to Britain than drive the thing there. It sounds like he was trying to go round the Cape rather than through Suez.

9. Has to be more to this, a fair amount of money tied up in this venture, wages, cost of running the thing, berthing fees all add up.

Private armed ship sailing around Africa has the smell of Hollywood.

10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I'm pretty sure it didn't have that gun on the front last year. wonder where he got it from

11. On the 3rd Nov 2011 Christopher Enmarsh told the Essex Gazette the following:

"Her new owner and skipper, former Royal Navy Lieutenant Chris Enmarsh, 51, said: "Defender's task will be to deter pirates intent on boarding the many ships that pass the East African coastline. One look at her should be enough to send them looking for easier targets."

Now he claims it to deter illegal fishing............

Naturally I believe him

Ex-navy ship is set to fight off pirates | This is Essex

12. What deficiencies in safety equipment?

Oh, OK. Can't be too careful in those Somalian waters ...

Still, I guess it only confirms the Spaniards' reputations as bull-fighters.

13. I think if a privately owned but armed vessel parked (or what ever it is salty types do) in a port in the UK, there would be a little consternation and examination and excuses found to impound it so the whole story could be investigated