Gun smuggling common in UK army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jacques_Bustard, Apr 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heared this story on the radio whilst travelling to work yesterday (see the link):-

Those found guilty got what they deserved however I'd take issue with the MOD for stating " there was no evidence such guns were used in crimes in the UK". The MOD appear to have short memories having forgotten about the late Vickie Fletcher, killed by an ex-SAS/RAMC doctor. Again see the link:-
  2. Back when we had civilised laws soldiers could bring home firearms as “war trophies” legally.
  3. I got the feeling that this the comment was simply a "well everyone else was doing it!!" defence. An attepmt by the guilty party to lessen thier transgression. I wouldn't be surprised if it had little basis in reality. having said that, there will now have to be a lot more searches of, well, everything, coming back to the UK.

Having said thet, im not really in a position to comment, being a civvie!!

4. I recall a bloke handing in a mint condition AK47 under anonimity during a firearms amnesty in the mid 90's, only to find his name, rank, corps & a photo of the damn thing on the front page of the bicester advertiser the following week!

Thames Valley police really shot themselves in the foot...
  5. since when was it "UK Army"
  6. Say no more............. :twisted: :)
  7. What happened to the lad who handed it in?

So, two JNCO's serving in an infantry battalion who were convicted by Court Martial of smuggling weapons into the UK feel that they were so well placed that they could see that this was widespread across the British Army? Give me a fukcing break.

I agree with SkiCarver - I think it's a case of, "Well everyone else was doing it".

Appeal in the pipeline perhaps?
  9. msr

msr LE

If they use this as a defence, then they are going to have to prove it is so...

10. If I remember correctly it turned out to be de-activated and he hadn't done anything wrong, just the press as usual talking bollocks.

Theres more profit to be made smuggling cigerettes into the UK than there is firearms and a lot less risk.
  11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Love the bit where they say that it is so easy to smuggle weapons - yeah fellas - so easy that you got caught and jailed - and a couple of your mates are still in nick - one of then got 10 years, another got 9 1/2.

And then the numpties say that is a country awash with hardware they had to buy them off locals!
  12. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

13. Given that I have twice fallen foul of the RAF plod / customs inspection on return from Ops (with a perfectly legal knife that was brought into theatre from my home station in the first place), I doubt smuggling firearms is easy or common.
  14. Actually its not that hard, for some reason the RMP think that their little silver seals prevent people from smuggling, (be it guns or anything else) and believe me it doesn't.
  15. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

You are right stacker - but it is not as easy as it was, and with the number of times that kit is now searched, sniffed, scanned etc on its way back the risks are high.