Gun Safes/Cabinets

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Beerhunter, Mar 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I like to think that I am pretty good at guns, especially old ones but I am not too proud to ask about stuff that is peripheral to them.

I'm looking to add an extra safe/cabinet to make my life a little easier. I haven't bought a cabinet/safe in years so can someone explain what the difference is between a shot gun cabinet and a rifle cabinet. (I make no distinction when storing my guns. They are all mixed up together in my current safes.) Or is is just marketing bollox?

Second, where can I get the best deal on a five-gun safe/cabinet?
  2. Shot gun safes are shorter, stowing them broken. It may have a shelf for carts.

Rifle cabinets usually have a locable compartment for ammo.

BSA used to do very smart cabinets and they were exceptional value. You'll have to google them though.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  3. I have actually got an old steel gun cabinet to clear but I doubt that it will be up to a current specification. It doesn't have built-in locks of the five lever deadbolt type. Instead it has two hasps which pass through the edge of the door to take padlocks. It's free standing but could easily be drilled for bolting to the wall and floor. It's 9" x 9" x 54" high. If it doesn't qualify as a gun cabinet nowadays it would still make a decent strongbox. But if there's no interest by the time the boot sale season gets underway, I might think about weighing it in for scrap.

Quick pic:
  4. Hijacking this thread a little, what are the rules on using a locked ammo box instead of a dedicated lockable self? I'm sure I've heard people using them but always thought the shelf was / is mandatory?

(FYI: I keep my rifle at a club - so not a whole relevant question for myself)
  5. An approved ammunition safe is ok to use, but it does need to conform to required standards, unless by its very concealment you can convince plod. In many ways it is better as the firearm can be kept separately from the ammunition and possibly the bolt.
  6. I have three cabinets, one for rifles, one for shotguns and one shelved out for ammunition and ancils.
  7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Why bother? I had steel bars custom made for a window in one room and a 15 point steel door put in for less than the price of a decent cabinet.

Now I have a strong room in my house.

At a guess I reckon I've got space for about a thousand guns in there, assuming they're just stacked up on the floor.

• Like Like x 2
  8. To answer the question, there are no rules about the separate storage of Section 1 ammunition. The only requirement under law, is that it be stored securely. However, due to the fragmented nature of firearms licensing in the UK, some constabularies insist on separate storage of Section 1 ammunition while others DGAS. Additionally, some of the former insist on a separate box whereas others will be OK with a lockable compartment inside a gun safe.

BTW, the above only applies to Section 1 ammunition. There is no requirement to store them securely.

BTW2. I too have a secure room which contains my safes. In my area the secure room was a complete waste of time because when assessing my security, they didn't mention it once.
  9. Not much use if the burglar can just get through the plasterboard though. Not everyone has a house built by stonemasons.

10. You can make a decent strong room if you apply security lathe over the plasterboard and then double board from the inside

Done quiet extensively in hospital design... though they always have a cabinet for Class A and B meds etc

Many thanks for the other responses too
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Me too, as an RFD its needed. That said I buy good used Brattonsounds in the Friday add for £50, most shotgun owners buy them as plod tell them too and when the gun gets sold at renewal time because they want to buy a caterham or motorbike I pick them up for pennies, oh and usually guns too!
    Dont get hung up on the types, I always mix them up to confuse plod and have cabinets inside my gunroom!
  12. The only difference I'm aware of between rifle and shotgun cabinets is the depth to accommodate scoped rifles, no difference in specs and the police have never been interested which ones I keep particular guns in.

I've got the obligatory Brattonsound and two of the 7 gun jobs from Julian at JFC - bondgunaccessories which are perfectly adequate.
  13. Beer hunter,

The first thing to know is that there are no legally mandated standards for security. There is however "guidance" adn if you follow it then you really can't go wrong. It is available here:

I would recommend that you PRINT it, read it and then read it again and go through it with a highlighter. Much of it will not apply. Remember that the examples of construction methods for bars and doors etc are no more than examples. If you come up with an alternative that you can demonstrate fits the spirit of the guidance then that is ok. That said it's easier if you follow the examples precisely because then the FEO doesn't have to think. Sadly, many FEO's are not capable of intelligent thought.

IN answer to your original question there is no difference in security between rifle and shotgun cabinets, they are just sold for different shapes of long arms.

If your gun room is properly secure then you don't need a cabinet unless it's to keep S1 ammunition segregated.

If you're really stuck, pm m e and I'll try to help.
  14. Here's a question. Does anyone remember the old fashioned arms safes from yester-year? Those big ones that were lined with wood and had two big metal bars across the door? I know they aren't approved anymore, for ages in fact, but I'm trying to find a decent picture of one. Did they have a particular name? Back in my cadet days we just called it "the big black safe". Any info out there?