Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun part help

cymraeg

War Hero
Hi all was wondering if any gun smiths , rfd's or anyone else could help.

have managed to break on of the lugs off the breech locking bolt from my breach bolt assembly.

as its an ancient gun having trouble finding a replacement and was posting on the mega off chance someone here would have one in a spare parts bin , lying on a shelf etc or if anyone has any ideas on how I could fix this as its causing cycling issues.

can post a pic of it assembled into the breech bolt if that helps etc.....

many thanks in advance as always

sorry gun in question is a nikko F1 shadow semi auto and can't find feck all about it online
20201024_155148.jpg
20201024_155129.jpg
20201024_155055.jpg

Yup, Small scale engineers business is your first port of call.

However, be aware that if the part is controlled / restricted you may not hand the part over and sit back for the work to be finished. Your only option in his case is to be physically present whilst the replacement part is being fabricated.

It's quite useful to know exactly what type of steel the original part was made from too.

You can't just bin the old part either, hand it in for lawful disposal by an RFD, get a receipt.

Good idea to talk the whole thing through with your Local FEO first, remember to offer solutions, not just problems.

cymraeg

War Hero
Might a local independent engineer/blacksmith be able to weld and shape anew lug for you?
I was wondering if that was viable but unsure due to the part it plays during recoil

cymraeg

War Hero
Some more pics of the other bits and where it sits
20201024_164522.jpg
20201024_164433.jpg
20201024_164457.jpg

HE117

LE
Ooh... that looks nasty! That should not have happened!

I would think finding a spare is probably unlikely.. its not the thing a smith would hold on the off chance and I doubt if the makers will hold any stock..

You could have it welded and re-heat treated. It would then have to be re-proofed before it could be sold (even if you were to keep it, I would strongly advise a re-proof). Looking at the fracture, it looks like there was an existing crack in the lug, and on this basis, I would not go this route as you have no idea if there are other faults in the metal. Your other alternative is to have a new lug fabricated by someone competent in the trade... this is not a project for someone who is not in the trade! Either route will cost you..!

To be honest, unless the gun is of particular sentimental value, it's really not worth repairing... hand it in to the Police for destruction...

Given a technical drawing, any halfway competent fitter, or gunsmith should be able to fabricate it in my opinion.
You don't need a drawing, you have one to copy, the other leg is there, the cost of having a part hand made will be the problem.

There are no drawings anyway as Nikko ( Japan ) doesn't exist anymore.

cymraeg

War Hero
Ooh... that looks nasty! That should not have happened!

I would think finding a spare is probably unlikely.. its not the thing a smith would hold on the off chance and I doubt if the makers will hold any stock..

You could have it welded and re-heat treated. It would then have to be re-proofed before it could be sold (even if you were to keep it, I would strongly advise a re-proof). Looking at the fracture, it looks like there was an existing crack in the lug, and on this basis, I would not go this route as you have no idea if there are other faults in the metal. Your other alternative is to have a new lug fabricated by someone competent in the trade... this is not a project for someone who is not in the trade! Either route will cost you..!

To be honest, unless the gun is of particular sentimental value, it's really not worth repairing... hand it in to the Police for destruction...
Cheers mukka. Gen question but why a reproof if I got it repaired?

I thought proofing was just to do with barrels and pressure

cymraeg

War Hero
You don't need a drawing, you have one to copy, the other leg is there, the cost of having a part hand made will be the problem.

There are no drawings anyway as Nikko ( Japan ) doesn't exist anymore.
Indeed and this is the problem. Don't want to get rid as it was one of my first guns.

One of the reasons about asking for spares was a read somewhere that they were build side by side with either early remingtons or winchesters and shared common parts. Also have been sold as high standard shadows

Changed my mind now since there are no spares, TIG weld it, file it up to match the other leg.

Don't know about proof or not, you haven't touched the locking surfaces so it will be in theory safe.

4(T)

LE
I was trying to work out whether a locking bolt was (a) a licensed part, and/or (b) a proofed part.

I guess if it does not bear a proof mark, then it is neither. Seems odd, given that it is a pressure bearing part.

Another solution might be to keep an eye out for another Nikko - and cannibalise it.

HE117

LE
Cheers mukka. Gen question but why a reproof if I got it repaired?

I thought proofing was just to do with barrels and pressure
You have suffered a pressure related failure. You are also considering hot work on a pressure bearing part. You have no idea what else may have been stressed as a result of the lug failure, so proof firing is a sensible thing to do.. it doesn't cost much and it is a safe way of proving the safety of the gun..

cymraeg

War Hero
I know where to get this part.
But I'm not telling.
View attachment 514794
Lol poo monster. Right going all in. I will lick your hoop clean after a curry if you would provide a link.

By me a mean my cat mr snuffles but he has a rasp tounge so extra clean for you. Win win

cymraeg

War Hero

Latest Threads