Gun Fitting (Shotgun)

rabid spaniel

War Hero
Been reading about it, stimulated by a bad day on the moor!

Is it really worth doing? If so, can anyone here recommend a good one? (be helpful if in in NW - Cumbria or North Lancs, but will travel if necessary)

And I know that practice is a good place to start, but if the gun is looking somewhere my eyes aren't the practice won't help!

Ta.

Bowlander

Old-Salt
Enquire at Malmo guns, I've always found them really helpful.

Which moor were you on? I was out flanking on Fourstones yesterday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

rabid spaniel

War Hero
Thanks, I will - should have done it when I was buying cartridges last week, but was in a rush and didn't think about it.

I was on Warcop/ Hilton, walking up with an awful ratio by the end of the day....
Fourstones is quite close to me, but I can only imagine what proper civvy prices would be like to shoot it! Thank my lucky stars for cheap military shoots......

Vasco

War Hero
I had my gun fitted initially because I needed a lot of extra length on the butt (15 and 1/4 inches length of pull). Then I found I was getting some eye dominance grief and a pal said that I was tending to miss to the left. That made sense as all my rifles are zeroed to take out the same tendency. I now have a considerable sideways bend at the wrist as well, which brings the rib more closely under my dominant right eye. This made an instant difference to my sight picture, almost competely eliminating intererence from my left eye.

Difficult to estimate if this has helped my shooting as I only started a year ago: the learning curve has been pretty steep but there are lots of other factors at work, of course

I went to a pukka gunsmith rather than a dealer. However, I'm a long way from Cumbria (though I wish I weren't - my avatar is the Cross Fell trig point), so I would imagine there must be a gunsmith nearer to you who could sort you out. Perhaps your shooting colleagues can help with a recommendation? Google has a couple in your area, but I would go with personal recommendation, myself.

Bowlander

Old-Salt
Fawcetts in Lancaster might be worth a try as they are gunsmiths.

The only place I've shot grouse is at DTE Otterburn, I'd struggle to afford the keepers tip now!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I believe there is someone in Barnard Castle but I have no idea if they're any good.

If it's a decent gun I'd be inclined to send it down south.

I know it's far away, but I would highly recommend getting yourself down to the West London Shooting Ground and having a pro gunfit lesson.

You'll spend a morning blatting clays and will learn loads about your shooting style. At the end they will give you your exact measurements and you'll be able to get your gun altered to them.

No point going to town on your stock unless you know what measurements you want it to be.

It's worth it.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I believe there is someone in Barnard Castle but I have no idea if they're any good.

If it's a decent gun I'd be inclined to send it down south.

I know it's far away, but I would highly recommend getting yourself down to the West London Shooting Ground and having a pro gunfit lesson.

You'll spend a morning blatting clays and will learn loads about your shooting style. At the end they will give you your exact measurements and you'll be able to get your gun altered to them.

No point going to town on your stock unless you know what measurements you want it to be.

It's worth it.

HE117

LE
Bit of a stutter there Ravers...!

Barry Wilcox at Castle Gunmakers in Norham is an old school gunsmith.. I give him stuff that i'm not prepared to do.. even if he does not do the work he will pass it on to someone who can..

They did a good job at relaying the ribs on one of my hammer guns (me & solder do not get on..)

(Ravers - one of Barry's mates is working on the Bland 16 I showed you.. rebuild and case harden - not enconomic I know, but he was willing to have a go and I could not put a hammer through a Bland without at least some attempt at recovery.. they reccon the cause was someone taking out too much metal to fit an oversize hinge pin)

Aah, the difference between the shotgun and vintage military shooters ;)

We just have to get as comfortable as we can and suck it up :)

And I know that practice is a good place to start, but if the gun is looking somewhere my eyes aren't the practice won't help!

Ta.
If your form has significantly plunged recently consider that your eye dominance may have shifted with age. Simple eye dominance tests may prevent additional, unnecessary expense in the first instance.

ugly

LE
All good advice, I tend to get n with most guns, just lucky that way, I must be Mr Average with a BLNE!

rabid spaniel

War Hero
Thanks all. The current gun isn't expensive (in the grand scheme of expensive), but could potentially shoot better if it points the right way.
Eyes are ok. Guy on shoot has suggested sucking it up and going to London (any idea how much the West London gig is? No mention on website): I have also seen what looks like a good bloke in the midlands -Ian Coley, which is not a million miles from where I have to be often mid week.
I will contemplate until end of season and decide in Feb I guess. The aim is to fix current tool then potentially have an Italian made to measure. Much as I would love English, the wallet really won't stretch!