Gun fitters on the Outside.

Discussion in 'REME' started by Treebeard, Jun 3, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have any Gun Fitters managed to secure any mechanical engineering employment on the outside?
    If so, please let me know. :)
    It might give me some direction, and stop me waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. :(
    Otherwise, security here I come. :'(

2. Mate, you'll be laughing, just tell them you're an ex- Armourer!

Seriously though, I think you'd be alright in the engineering surveyor role. It basically involves doing load tests for insurance firms.  Mainly in factories, I think I saw something in the crafty a while back about it.
    Lets face it , engineering is engineering.  
    At least you can repair by repair, unlike some of the modern vehicle fitters :p

3. Are you looking for hands on shop floor work or supervision/management?  I'm a civvy employer (sorry nothing open at the moment) but my advice to you would be to be clear about what you want because civvy land can be very different to what your used to and also the pay, benefits, sports and training may not fit with your view of the world.

Most employers know next to nothing about what the army does and most think it's all about being an infanteer etc.  Give plenty of thought to your CV and don't be too agressive in your presentation, highlight the trade side of things and any other relevant responsibilities you have.  A lot of people get scarred when they see x years in the army and bin the CV straight away, so take as much advise and training as you can prior to leaving the forces.

Oh and lastly, good luck.

S.

4. To Nige in stralia,
    Engineer Surveyors do NOT carry out load tests in factories no matter what you may have read in the Craftsman. Specialst lifting engineers do that at the behest of the ES.
    ES's carry out thorough examinations of plant and equipment under LOLER and PUWER which are regulations that stralia do not have. I know this because our company Superintendant Lifting spent 3 years there attempting to set up an Insurance Inspection Regime as we have here in the UK, to no avail.
    Stralia does things its' way doncha know.
    The company that I work for employs quite a lot of ex REME and all are VM tiffy's or VM Artisan SNCO's.
    The thinking being that there aint a lot that they don't know about shopfloor and lifting equipment.
    We also employ many ex RN stokers, the thinking being that there aint a lot that the navy doesn't know about steam plants. Nuclear subs are steam driven incase anyone may wonder what happened to all the steam ships.
    Not much requirement for bullet mechs though.

5. To Nige in stralia,
    Engineer Surveyors do NOT carry out load tests in factories no matter what you may have read in the Craftsman. Specialst lifting engineers do that at the behest of the ES.
    ES's carry out thorough examinations of plant and equipment under LOLER and PUWER which are regulations that stralia do not have. I know this because our company Superintendant Lifting spent 3 years there attempting to set up an Insurance Inspection Regime as we have here in the UK, to no avail.
    Stralia does things its' way doncha know.
    The company that I work for employs quite a lot of ex REME and all are VM tiffy's or VM Artisan SNCO's.
    The thinking being that there aint a lot that they don't know about shopfloor and lifting equipment.
    We also employ many ex RN stokers, the thinking being that there aint a lot that the navy doesn't know about steam plants. Nuclear subs are steam driven incase anyone may wonder what happened to all the steam ships.
    Not much requirement for bullet mechs though.

6. Wow!
    6 years almost to the day between my post and yours - lucky you corrected me.

I think Treebeard has been out of the army a few years now, I'm sure he's glad you have set the record straight.

7. Yes thanks Nige. I've been out for quite a while, and I'm working as a Maintenance Fitter. I have always found your council great value. Thanks again. TTFN.

8. Yes thanks Nige. I've been out for quite a while, and I'm working as a Maintenance Fitter. I have always found your council great value. Thanks again. TTFN.

PS. Sorry I used to be Treebeard.

9. there are NRPS posts out there.....But they are only 5 yr deals.

Engineer Surveyor is a gr8 job....