Gun Cabinet Specs

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by CptDanjou, Jul 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For firearm storage does your cabinet have to have a seperate compartment for ammo? my mate is getting his first FAC and Ive got a 3 gun cabinet that does not have a seperate compartment for him , he`s under Devon & Cornwall Police.

2. Yes to seperate storage but it doesn't have to be a lockable compartment in the gun cabinet, a cheapo wall safe from B and Q is enough for them.

3. Well I'm in D and C area and they insist on separate secure storage for ammo and bolts before they approve your security.

4. Again there is no requirement in law nor does the Security Handbook specify or recommend it specifically but rather suggests that it is "an additional level of security".

5. When the plod came out to look at my gun box he commented on why I had an additional lock box for ammo storage even though it was not needed and I live in NI! I like having it because it means my old man cant nick my shells without asking and I cant get at his.

6. There is a clear requirement in Law to secure ammuniton which is Section 1, although the acts do not specify how this is to be done..

There is no requirement in law to secure non Section 1 ammunition e.g. Normal shotgun carts (more than 5 pellets), air gun ammuniton and blank less than 1" calibre, although the sensible and strong advice is to do so..

So if you are only holding shotguns, then the Police cannot insist, and can only advise that the ammunition should be secured. If you are holding Section 1 ammuniton, then the Police will insist that you store it securely to their satisfaction. This, of course is subject to interpretation, however if the Police are being unreasonable in their demands, then appeal..

My interpretation of the guidance is that, provided the proposed means of storing ammuniton is reasonably secure, the Police have no grounds to insist on a specific measures such as a lock top box. They can, of course, give their reccomendations, but they have no grounds in my opinion to withold a certificate if an alternative solution is demonstrably as secure..

7. It's pretty much as HE117 says. For shot gun ammo (5 or more shot, none of which exceeds .36" in diameter) it is only a recommendation that you store ammo securely. Having said that, I'm aware of cases at Court where Judges have looked very poorly at people who leave ammo lying around, especially when there's kids in the house.

On Section 1 ammo, the law says exactly what it does on your certificate which is:
    The Firearms Rules 1998
    As Beerhunter mentions, the guidance recommends seperate storage which includes seperate lockable compartment and often the request is to keep things like bolts in there as well. Each case must be taken on its own merits (case law) and if you have security which is as good as a BS 7558 cabinet if not better, it should be approved. Not forgetting that there's a lot of historic security approved especially since security was required for shotguns from '88 onwards.

I'd just get a BS7558 cabinet and rawl bolt it to a load bearing wall, out of sight of casual entry and keep the ammo and bolts in a seperate lockable compartment, but then I would ;-)

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The only time I have seen a cert with a requirement to store bolts seperately was for an RFD with racking. The room was pretty well hidden and better than most mil armouries. The condition isnt on my cert, they just read store securely. In fact the first time I encountered the silly bolts out rule was in the mid 90s on an NRA RO course. I ignore it as I cant be fagged with replacing bolts lost or taking the wrong bolt out stalking! bAbsolutely legally 100% safe!

9. I never said it was a condition on the certificate.

All the law says is that:
    It's only guidance that says about storing bolts seperately: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/police/firearms/HO-Firearms-Guidance.pdf?view=Binary
    -and as has often been said guidance is not the law.